|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The format is basically televised karaoke: six contestants are picked out of the audience and brought on to play a variety of singing games. The studio band performs a portion of a song, and the contestant has to provide the exact lyrics for the next line once the band stops playing. It takes an elimination format, reducing six to four to two for the final round.
Game Show Tropes in use:
- Home Game: One was issued by Cardinal in 2007.
This show provides examples of:
- Catch Phrase: "You don't have to sing it well, you just have to sing it right."
- Keet: Melissa.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: YMMV of course, but Peterman (who has a background in stand-up comedy) seems more comfortable in a hosting position than Fatone.
- Shout-Out: In the Home Game, "Don't Trust The Band" cards have a section of lyrics from a song with the last line blatantly-wrong, and the contestant must correct the "blooper". It's a combination guaranteed to make you say...
- Thematic Theme Tune: The CMT version has one, which the audience sings along with.
- Unexpected Genre Change: Although the CMT version mainly uses Country Music songs, they occasionally slip in pop songs. Many of the non-country choices can be Unexpectedly Obscure Answers.