|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Servants of Ungoliant is set in the unused continent known as Mórenorë, the Dark Land. It focuses on Ungoliant, a minor villain from The Silmarillion, who becomes the ruler of an entire continent in the Southern regions of Arda.
This story is essentially an Elsewhere Fic, and features very few canon characters from the Tolkien legendarium, though it is still set in the same universe and time period as The Silmarillion (to be specific, the late First Age). Only a handful of canon characters appear or are even referenced in the story, while the rest of the characters are either derived from licensed Tolkien-related works, or created exclusively for the story. Servants also utilizes various unused/obscure elements from The History of Middle Earth, Middle Earth Role Playing, and other non-canonical material.
The first part of the story can be read here.
A list of characters featured in Servants can be found here.
The Servants of Ungoliant provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Several, including a few from Tolkien's official works.
- Big Bad: Ungoliant.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: The Underlord's son, Jynix, has a habit of developing this when he is angered, stressed, or simply inquisitive.
- Canon Foreigner: Several of the main characters, and a few supporting characters, originated from non-canon material, or were unused/renamed/replaced in later editions of The Silmarillion.
- Child Soldiers: Most of the Darklanders that serve as soldiers in the Dark Lands are teenagers and young adults in their early to mid twenties.
- Co-Dragons: Ungoliant has the Underlord/Fankil, Naikamil (literally a dragon), and to a lesser extent, Lungotto/Langon.
- The Underlord has his various sons.
- Dark Fantasy
- The Dragon: The Underlord, Fankil, is the primary lieutenant of Ungoliant. Also played literally with Naikamil.
- Eldritch Location: Mórenorë is simply packed with these. The south-western region alone contains a black wasteland with an ominous red sky, a gigantic monster-infested network of ravines and canyons running across it, a metropolis of massive, decaying towers, a mountain range of dormant volcanoes, another mountain range covered in vegetation, and a forest of trees with strange, even dangerous shapes.
- The Mórenorëan region of Gologoth contains Thimbalt, the largest Mountain in the South of Arda. Its massive summit was cloven and shaped by unknown forces into countless smaller peaks, each a mountain unto itself.
- Elsewhere Fic: With shades of Original Flavour. Servants is mostly set in Mórenorë, a continent located to the South of Middle-earth. The only regions of Middle-earth that are visited are Harad, the Seven Lands, and the Sunlands.
- Ghibli Hills: The Green Mountains.
- Lost World: Mórenorë is mostly covered in jungles, and is inhabited by many strange and unknown creatures.
- Mooks: Ungoliant's minions, thralls, and other subjects include Gongs, Sarqindi, Giants, Darklanders, Greblings, Delvers of the Deep, and Pygmies.
- Mook Carryover/ Rogues Gallery Transplant: Many of these were Melkor's minions (most of which were created by Tolkien but were never actually featured in Tolkien's officially released canon) are depicted in this story as Ungoliant's Mooks.
- Mordor: Zig-zagged. While "Dark Land" is the literal translation of Mordor, the continent is actually known as "Mórenorë", and is mostly fertile, being covered primarily in jungles and mountains. The south-western region, Arvalin, is mostly a black wasteland with a sky that is red during the day, and pitch-black at night, but it is not caused by the presence of volcanos (although the nearby Black Mountains are in fact volcanos, they are mostly dormant, with only enough activity to produce hot springs), but by liberation from the frozen Southern Wastes, combined with a significant distance from the Sun and the Moon.
- Mysterious Antarctica: The Southern Wastes.
- Patchwork Fic: Features characters, locations, and other elements from The History of Middle-earth, Middle Earth Role Playing, and various Fanon based on The Silmarillion.
- The Savage South: Mórenorë to Middle-earth, The Islands of Ormal to the Sunlands.
- Villain Protagonist: The majority of the story is focused on Ungoliant and her minions.