|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A 2012 Young Adult novel written by Kiera Cass. The first in a planned trilogy.
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
The book provide examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: From Ashley to Gavril
- Alpha Bitch: Celeste
- Black Sheep: America's brother Gerad doesn't like to do anything artistic. Too bad he was born to a family full of artists and a Five and thus this is the only career he can use to earn a living.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Marlee is a fan favorite amongst the people to win The Selection. However, she and Maxon feel little attraction towards each other.
- Every Thing Is Better With Princesses: The ultimate prize of The Selection, along with Maxon. Some of the girls are only in The Selection for the crown.
- Expy: Aspen is basically Gale and Gavril is basically Caesar Flickerman.
- Hair of Gold: Marlee and Ashley
- Heroes Want Redheads: Maxon takes a liking to America, the only redhead in The Selection.
- Green Eyes: Aspen
- Lady in Red: America manages to stand out in one scene by wearing a killer red dress whilst all the other girls (who were copying her in the first place) are wearing blue. Celeste even attempts to switch dresses.
- Meaningful Name: America, because she is fighter, and Singer because she's a musician.
- No Sex Allowed: Until you're married. Hence why so many young people want to get married. And to top it off, no birth control if you're a four or lower in order to ensure people are born into lower castes.
- Redheaded Hero: America
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Maxon and Aspen for America
- Rich Bitch: Celeste
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The Royal family is consistently shown actively ruling and running the country. Maxon takes his duties as a future King very seriously, as do his parents. It is shown throughout the novel that this is the type of ruler America would be if she were to win.
- Spoiled Sweet: Maxon
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Aspen
- Unwanted Harem: The other girls in The Selection. Maxon is really only interested in America
- X Meets Y: The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor.