|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"You're the famous Simon Templar!"—The end of every pre-credits sequence
Created by Leslie Charteris in a series of books Simon Templar, nicknamed The Saint, is a world-famous amateur detective who operates as a modern-day Robin Hood.
After it finished in 1969, it was followed by the TV show The Return Of The Saint in 1978 starring Ian Ogilvy.
This show provides examples of:
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Upon people recognising him, The Saint will often look upwards as an animated halo appears to segue into the credits.
- He would also address the audience at the start of early episodes.
- Cold Open: Home of the aforementioned fourth wall breaking.
- Cool Car: The white Volvo P1800.
- Disguised in Drag: The villain of the first episode drags up as an old woman so he can murder his wife.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Most episodes, especially in the black-and-white episodes, are called The Adjective Noun. ("The Careful Terrorist", "The Covetous Headsman", "The Romantic Matron", and so on.)
- Inspector Antagonist: Chief Inspector Teal.
- Just Like Robin Hood
- Setting Update: The stories are contemporary, despite being based on a book series that started in the 1920s.
- Values Dissonance: "The Golden Journey" opens with Simon Templar suggesting that his friend could 'cure' his fiancée's spoilt brat attitude by hitting her every now and then.