|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
By way of a bad way to turn 30, Angelique de Xavia gets caught in the middle of a surreal bank robbery, and finds her loyalties sorely tested. And that's just the start of her and everyone else's troubles. Also provides a quick crash course for outsiders in the way Protestant/Catholic divides in Scotland align with football fandom. The second of the three De Xavia Christopher Brookmyre novels.
- Awesome McCoolname: Angelique de Xavia
- The Caper: Has a brilliant heist involving clowns and banks. And a bus, or am I getting confused?
- Fair Cop: Angelique de Xavia
- Gentleman Thief: Jarry and Co.
- I Know You Know I Know: Subverted
- Jerkass: Mr. Athena.
- Magnificent Bastard: The way the leader of the thieves plays everyone for his revenge is breathtaking.
- Monster Clown: Subverted and then some
- Pregnant Hostage: One of several signs the supposed bad guys are gentlemen. Except Mr. Athena.
- Serious Business: Missing the football.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Played with and then some.
- Waiting for Godot: Among other ways to help the hostages pass the time during safebreaking, two of the bankrobbers stage a version of this.