|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Shrewd, snarky sixteen-year-old orphan and street urchin Pagan Kidrouk enters The Knights Templar in twelfth-century Jerusalem, seeking work as a squire. He finds himself assigned to Lord Roland Roucy de Bram, an excessively honourable, stoic and chivalrous knight whom Pagan nicknames "Saint George". As the book progresses, Pagan discovers the human being behind Roland's apparently emotionless exterior. He and Roland become unlikely friends, and Pagan remains fiercely loyal to the knight throughout the series. When Roland goes to defend Jerusalem against capture by Saladin's forces, Pagan accompanies him.
- Bookworm: Isidore.
- Deadpan Snarker: Pagan and his running commentary.
- First-Person Smartass.
- In-Series Nickname: "Saint George" for Roland.
- Knight in Shining Armor.
- No Sense of Humor: Roland at the beginning of the series.
- Sarcastic Devotee: Pagan.
- Not So Stoic: Roland has several notable moments of this.
- The Stoic: Lord Roland at the beginning of the series, frequently mentioned by Pagan.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Lord Roland.