|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Hi, my name is Dot Hugson, I'm eight years old. I live in a farm in Kansas in the countryside. I'm a farm girl. My favorite habit is to play with my dog Toto, my brother Neddie and my farm animals, riding horses, hanging out with boys and having fun. (laughs) I was born on June 21st, That's about it. It began on a bright summer day, Neddie and I are happily spent our childhood in my farmhouse. But suddenly, my family, Toto, Neddie and I were caught up in a tornado and carried away! And then, when we woke up, I discover the magical Land of Oz, my very own magical world! Oh, well, I guess everything will be okay.
—Dot Hugson's Opening Narration
The Oz Kids is an American animated fantasy comedy-drama television series produced by Hyperion Animation based on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum's classic children's novel, and its various sequels. It aired on ABC from 1996 to 1999; from 1996-1997 nine early episodes were released in VHS format.
The two main characters of the series are both human: Dot and Neddie Hugson (the children of Dorothy and Zeb). The minor characters are Boris and Bela (the children of the Cowardly Lion), TinBoy (aka Nickie) (the son of the Tin Woodman), Scarecrow Jr. (the son of the original Scarecrow), Jack Pumpkinhead Jr. (son of the original Jack Pumpkinhead), Frank (the son of the Wizard), and Andrea, daughter of Glinda.
- The All-American Boy: Neddie
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Otto and Andrea
- Cool Big Sis
- Dot Hugson is Neddie's playful, imaginative and adventurous big sister.
- Bela is Boris's bratty big sister.
- A Day in the Limelight: Frank, who is a supporting character, became the main protagonist of "Underground Adventure".
- "The Monkey Prince" stars Neddie as the main character.
- Denser and Wackier: Compared to the Oz-related books and films.
- The Ditz: Dot and Neddie
- Expy: Andrea, Glinda's daughter, bears a distinct resemblance to Ozma, who is one of the few major Oz characters who do not appear in this series.
- Five-Man Band
- Four-Fingered Hands: Dot and her brother, Neddie in the series' earliest episodes.
- This trope makes Dot and Neddie even cuter.
- Generation Xerox: Virtually every major character from the first couple Oz books gets a lookalike child or children. Even those characters incapable of biological reproduction.
- Genki Girl: Dot Hugson
- Magic Tool: Dot's Magic Belt
- Marilyn Maneuver: Harriet and Henna from "The Underground Adventure". Their skirts blow from the back slightly in the gust when they climb out of an exit at the top of an cave.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Dot and Boris
- Panty Shot: Dot in "Virtual Oz". Her white undies are seen from behind as she climbs back onto the top of a column in the computer game in which she and the others are trapped, and the other columns lower.
- She has another in "The Return of Mombi". In this, she wears white panties with some spots or circular pattern on them as she and Tin Boy search the main room of the palace for their parents (although there's an alternate version of this scene in which the undies shot is averted).
- She has a third one in "The Underground Adventure". Seen from behind when she's climbing out of a window using a makeshift rope made of knotted bedsheets.
- Pretty Boy: Frank and Boris
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Scarecrow Jr. and Dot. He's the super boy genius; She, for the other part, a fun-loving, energetic and happy-go-lucky farmgirl lives from rural Kansas.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Boris (Shy, intimidated lion cub) and Neddie (Playful, energetic farmboy)
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Dot and her brother, Neddie goes through plenty of slapstick.
- Slobs Versus Snobs
- Dot and Neddie are cute, inquisitive and energetic young slobs.
- Andrea is a smart, ambivalent and girly snob.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Dot Hugson (tomboy) and Andrea (girly girl)
- Dot (tomboy) and Bela (girly girl)
- Town Girls: Andrea is the sweet, gentle witch girl (femme), Bela is the furry, tough girly one (neither), and Dot is the tomboyish farmgirl from Kansas (butch).
- True-Blue Femininity: Dot's main dress is blue, that because blue are Dot and Neddie's favorite color.