|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
However, on the fourth episode of his Marvel vs Capcom 3 series, he started doing something different- a character guide for individual characters, called Assist Me, beginning with Dr. Doom. This series is a departure from his normal fare, with actors playing the parts of the various characters, and something resembling a storyline. It was even picked up by Capcom to promote the release of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, with 6 episodes covering 12 characters. Max has continued the show, which is well into its second season.
Max also covers trailers for new games, reviews older games on his "Sega Saturn Saturdays," does playthroughs of existing games, and provides live commentaries for his games during various "Week of" series.
Games with their own Online Warrior Series:
- Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
- Street Fighter X Tekken
- Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
- Soul Calibur V
- Abusive Parents: Wesker is as close as it can get to this regarding his treatment of Nemesis. Including beating up on him for damaging his expensive sunglasses
- Actor Allusion: Sort of. Max gets a lot that he looks a little like Nicolas Cage so in Ultimate Assist Me featuring Firebrand and Ghost Rider Max transforms into the latter who was played by Cage.
- This taken another step further when Doom, Max and Phoenix start watching B-movies starting with X-men 3 which features Phoenix. Max takes the remote and puts on the Fantastic Four movie, prompting Doom to switch the channel yet again to show the bunny line from Con Air, Not the Bees! from the remake of The Wicker Man, and I'm a Vampire from Vampire's Kiss. Max looks like he just wants to crawl into a hole.
- When one of the lighting crew members sits down on the couch Doom shouts hey it's Larry as the crew member played one of Chris' companions in Assist Me featuring Chris Redfield
- Done in-universe with Rocket Raccoon and Doom at each other's throats as Doom and Wesker often are.
- Affectionate Parody: There is one done on Epic Rap Battles of History featuring Wesker and Doom.
- A God Am I: Wesker's still got this mentality
- All Women Are Lustful: Doom and Max try to imply that this is how X-23 gets all her tattoos, and other things, for free only to for her to pull out her claws and strike fear into their hearts.
- Angrish: Max will pedal backwards into this whenever things don't go his way during games, or after them. He starts to sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- April Fools' Day: Max posted a video, as a follow up a similar video that wasn't even done on the day itself, where he trolls his subscribers into believing that you can get the voiceovers of Wesker, Doom, and Deadpool from Assist Me onto the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 disc. Even funnier is Max treats this as absolutely horrible.
- Ascended Meme: Often imported into the Assist me segments
- Atomic F-Bomb: Though it's cut short, Doom drops this when Phoenix 1ups him when they're comparing their credentials.
- Audience Surrogate: Doom says what's pretty much on every fanboy's mind during the Deadpool video at the start:
Max: Chill out, man.
Doom: You chill out! It's Deadpool! This episode's gonna be awesome!
Deadpool: Damn right it is!
- Bash Brothers: Doom and Max
- Big "What?": Doom, whenever anyone else calls him out or stares at him because of his shenanigans.
- Bloodless Carnage: When Deadpool shoots Max, there is absolutely no blood when the camera pans to his corpse.
- Book Ends: The first line from Doom starting in his Assist Me is asking Max if he can spend the night. This is his last line at the end of Wesker's Assist Me.
- One of the first thing Max asks Doom in Ultimate Assist Me is if he wants to go first to five in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. At the end of the six episodes, when the cursed game disappears because Max beat Galactus along with the insanity, Max asks him again.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In Wesker's Assist Me, he shoots a member of Max's lighting crew. It's all over the place when Max does an episode with the Merc With the Mouth.
- Doom calls Rocket Raccoon a puppet--he and Max look at the screen--for Galactus. Due to the character's dimunitive size he actually is played using a hand puppet voiced by the same man who does Wesker, as shown in the outtakes.
- In part 2 featuring Phoenix, the mutant tells Doom that his innermost desire is to see her and X-23 naked. Cue a cut from the crew that shoots the series psyched that they're about to shoot a naked chick scene only for Max to reveal he cut that part out for good reasons.
- Brick Joke: Deadpool uses his teleport belt twice in the first video. As expected it explodes catastrophically when he tries to use it a 3rd time. He does it at the end of the third video when trying to kill Max to get money from MODOK, only to be tricked by Wesker into checking his slacks because his belt buckle was coming undone. Deadpool's face when he realizes the belt is about to go boom says it all.
- But for Me It Was Tuesday: Wesker utilizes this whenever he activates his replaced voiceover Level 3.
- But Now I Must Go: Strider does this at the end of Ultimate Assist Me featuring him and Hawkeye.
- Call Back: Max turning into Ghost Rider in Ultimate Assist Me is brought up again in Deadpool's Assist Me.
- When playing Skullgirls, Max says "I'll carve my own Steak" which is something he said when using Patrokolos' Critical Edge
- Phoenix Wright saves Doom in court through the use of diplomatic immunity (which usually saved Doom in the comics). Doom uses this as a technicality when he thinks Chris and his friends have shown up to arrest him for possible statutory rape that may or may not have involved aliens.
- Captain Obvious: Doom originally thinks the Zombie Apocalypse is a Halloween gimmick. Max reminds Doom it's the middle of March. Doom begins counting the months and then:
Doom: Max! It's not Halloween!
Max: (deadpan) I know.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Albert Wesker as he is working on reports, climbing the corporate ladder and becoming a god.
- Catch Phrase: See the page quote.
- Characterization Marches On: In Doom's first appearance he was what you expect from Doom, actually acting like a Large Ham supervillain and an extremely big Jerkass. Now, though he's the ruler of a country, he's still a Large Ham, but acts like a freeloader off of Max's apartment and is frequently the Butt Monkey.
- City of Adventure: Some pretty crazy stuff happens in Santa Monica, where Max lives. Though with Max now moving the location of this will change. Still between bio-terrorists and cursed videogames, Max goes through some pretty crazy experiences when he shoots Assist Me.
- Click Hello: This is how Chris makes his entrance during his assist me segment. He's targeting a zombie X-23 about to attack Max.
- Comically Missing the Point: Doom finds a pair of Wesker's sunglasses in the fridge and hands them to Max. The only thing the gamer can say is "This isn't a Margarita".
- Compensating for Something: Max believes that Wesker's rather luxurious gun collection makes up for his Hilariously Abusive Childhood, amongst other things.
- Confusion Fu: Wesker says it's his greatest ally in combat and Max gives information about how to use this in the game.
- Continuity Nod: In part 2 of Assist Me featuring Deadpool--where Max is shot and killed, but he gets better (see Reset Button below)--the merc remarks how Max is about to turn into Ghost Rider because he looks like Nicolas Cage (Max actually did in Ultimate Assist Me). Doom asks why the hell Max would do that, remarking that Max looks more like Chad Kroger.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Doom snaps Wesker inside the TV after the Ultimate Assist Me featuring Nemesis and Doctor Strange (granted, this was so Nemesis could get some payback for Wesker's earlier abuse). Max has Doom let him out after Wesker saves them from Deadpool
- Cosplay: This is how the Assist Me videos are done featuring the other characters.
- Courtroom Episode: Assist Me featuring Phoenix Wright and Iron Fist has Doom on the witness stand for his crimes against humanity. Phoenix saves him through the use of diplomatic immunity and then foots Doom the bill.
- Curse Cut Short: Doom at the end of Ultimate Assist Me featuring Phoenix Wright and Iron Fist for charging him $52,000 in lawyer fees.
Doom: That double crossing son of a--
- Happens again with Rocket Raccoon:
Doom: Doom is insinuating that you have a hand up your A--
Rocket: You outta go on a diet, you fat piece of shiii-- *disappears*
- Cuteness Proximity: X-23 upon seeing Amaterasu.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Wesker gives a line during his rap battle with Doom about how he killed Mega Man because he didn't do this for him.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: Max always has this problem when switching between the various Online Warrior series.
- Double Entendre: Doom intended to show X-23 his "finger lasers" and "hidden missile". She promptly heads, most likely, for the bathroom in disgust.
- Did Not Do the Research: While Max is very knowledgeable in fighting games and mechanics, even being able to count frames of animation, he messes up on more commonplace character details. A clear-cut example any Devil May Cry fan would know is that Vergil is Dante's twin brother, not his half-brother.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Wesker's relentless assault on Nemesis in his week of Ultimate Assist Me
Wesker: This is what you get, Nemesis, for damaging my five-hundred dollar sunglasses. THEY'RE ITALIAN!
- "Everybody Laughs" Ending: This looks like how Assist Me featuring Deadpool is going to end, but it is quickly subverted.
- Fan Disservice: Doom trying to show Max and Phoenix his Cutie Mark. Thankfully Max stops him.
- Funny Background Event: While Max is concentrating on beating Galactus at the end of Ultimate Assist Me, Doom is having a battle with Rocket Raccoon.
- Max frequently lampshades the ones that occur when he plays Skullgirls.
- Genius Bonus: In Assist Me featuring Jill, Wesker says over the phone that he has the launch codes and they are 11 15 20 11. As a date, November 15th 2011, this was the launch date for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- Genre Savvy: When Doom and Deadpool start getting up in each other's grills, Max recognizes that a rap battle's about to ensue and stops it before it happens.
- Groin Attack: Doom advises everyone to aim directly at the genitals For Massive Damage.
- Heel Face Turn: Wesker starts living with Max and tries to be a nicer guy after the incident with Deadpool.
- Hypocritical Humor: Max tries to cover a new weapon for Modern Warfare 3 only for Doom to cut in and tell max to stop camping. Eventually Max hands Doom the controller and tells him to show him what's not camping. Guess what's the first thing Doom does?
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Max calling Super Skrull's Inferno attack "hot" in a recent video of The Online Warrior.
- Ironic Echo: When trying Doom's Doomequis, Max and Deadpool both say it tastes "like raw-ass butt". At the end of the tutorial [[spoiler:where Deadpool's teleport belt explodes and Max has cuts and scrapes all over him. Doom swipes his finger on Max's cheek thinking it's yogurt and says it tastes exactly the same as they thought of his Doomequis.
- Then again, considering it was a piece of Deadpool, may very well have been exactly that.
- I Shall Taunt You: Played with. Max is not fond of taunting midmatch or post-match believing it is unsportsmanlike conduct. However, for Deadpool's taunt he says it's alright.
- Lampshade Hanging: Done in Assist Me featuring Chris when Max busts out some Modern Warfare gear and Doom asks why he never bothered to use it before during Assist Me for Ultimate and the incident with Deadpool
- Large Ham: Wesker and Doom each have their moments.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Max has this mentality when playing fighting games, as he dislikes rage quitters and post and mid-match taunting. (A bonus is that he often employs the Trope Namer while playing Third Strike.)
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Subverted. Doom does this to screw with Max, complete with acting like he's dying after defeating Wesker.
- Mirror Match: Discussed.
- Never Found the Body: After Wesker's first defeat, this is how Max and Doom realize that Wesker's still at large.
- Pals with Jesus: Max has Doctor Doom for a roommate. And later Wesker, who is replaced by Phoenix...until both Max and Doom realize who she is.
- Pass the Popcorn: Doom when Max and Wesker duke it out during Assist Me.
- Power Echoes: Phoenix when she goes Dark Phoenix on Max and Doom
- Precision F-Strike: Thrown around from time to time, though rarely by Max, unless he's feeling salty.
- Oh Crap: Max and Doom's expression when Phoenix goes Dark Phoenix.
- Rage Quit: Averted. And Max has a whole video explaining why no one should rage quit.
- Reality Warper: Doctor Doom. He can get anything he wants just by snapping his fingers.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Doom is a brony, and Wesker's ringtone is the song used in the Nyan Cat video.
- Record Needle Scratch: A few times in Assist Me, most notably when Vergil decides he's still not going to give humanity another chance.
- Refuge in Audacity: Doctor Doom.
- Reset Button: After Max is killed by Deadpool, Doom resets time to change the poll results and save him.
- Rule of Funny: This is how the scripted segments often run with regards to Assist Me.
- Rule 34: One of Chris' friends brings this up between Chris and Claire. Chris responds by punching him where it hurts.
- Running Gag: In the first 3 Assist Me episodes, Max's dog, Amaterasu, bites anyone who comes near her. Except X-23.
- Doom still owes Max twenty dollars.
- Secret Handshake: Doom and Max have one called the Doom Fist.
- Shown Their Work: Max knows a lot about the fighting community and how to play fighting games. He would also never be able to do those character breakdowns if he didn't do his research first.
- Shout-Out: The end of Vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3 The Online Warrior episode 7 plays the fanfare from Back to The Future with Doom coming in like Marty at the end of the second movie. The segment serves as tie in to the next episode, which has Assist Me featuring Wesker.
- In Assist Me featuring X-23 she calls Doom Al Bundy in the green tunic.
- Doom says that he is Han Solo and Wesker is his Wookie bitch.
- Doom and Wesker's rap battle mentions The Matrix.
- Doom cracks a joke comparing Rocket Raccoon to Star Fox. The rodent sarcastically calls that "real original" and asks if he wants to make a Pocahontas joke next.
- Max makes Inigo Montoya in Soul Calibur V's Create-a-Character mode. A fan has promised to make a Count Rugen character to meet him in battle.
- Doom says not to make sudden movements during the Zombie Apocalypse because their visual acuity is based on movement. Even Max knows this is from Jurassic Park.
- Doom attempts to show Max and Phoenix his Cutie Mark
- Take That Us: During Assist Me featuring Jill, there is commentary about how horrible the original Resident Evil was, with terrible lookalike performers, horrible actors, and extremely cheesy voiceovers. The group then slowly turn their heads to stare straight ahead at the camera.
- Talking to Himself: And this is despite the fact that anyone who plays a character has to be in costume. Wesker and Deadpool are played by the same person. At the end of Deadpool's Assist Me, Wesker, inside the TV tells Deadpool that his belt buckle is coming undone.
- Teleporters and Transporters/Teleport Spam: The practicality of this with any character that has a teleport ability is discussed by Max during his vids.
- The Alcoholic: Doctor Doom and Wesker too, but to a lesser extent.
- The Glasses Come Off: Wesker during his battle with Doom at the end of Assist Me featuring Wesker.
- During Assist Me featuring Phoenix one of the crew members takes off his glasses when Max reveals they're not shooting a scene with Phoenix and X-23 naked and gets all up in Max's grill
- The Quiet One: Jill Valentine. Max lampshades this.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Deadpool's expression just as his teleport belt is about to go boom. Also, considering Wesker tricked him into setting it off, his expression also has a sense of "I cannot believe I just fell for that".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Doom loves yogurt.
- Trash Talk: Doctor Doom does a lot of this. Starting from when he beats Max in Assist Me to coming in during Max's games, owning the other team, and giving out insults. Max actually warns Doom about doing this too much.
Max: Uh, Doom you better be careful; remember what happened to your pony collection?
- Viewers Are Geniuses: Max is a very skilled player, so for a lot of new players a lot of what he says can go right over their heads. To correct this, Max has thought about, more than once, creating a fighting game basic tutorial.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: After shooting Max, Deadpool says he's gonna turn into Ghost Rider because he looks like Nicolas Cage. Doom tells him Max looks more like Chad Kroger. Deadpool's expression and tone has the word "Oops" written all over it.
- You Remind Me of X: Max is told quite frequently he looks like Nicolas Cage and Chad Kroger.
- Your Mom: Doom makes fun of Vergil's mother. Bad idea, Doom.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Features prominently in Chris's Assist Me.