|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The New Adventures of Old Christine is a sitcom created by former Will and Grace writer Kari Lizer, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Debuting in 2006, and canceled after five seasons, it allowed Louis-Dreyfus to defeat the dreaded "Seinfeld curse."
The show revolves around divorced gym owner Christine Campbell (Louis-Dreyfus), a mess in many respects, but one who has maintained friendly relations with ex-husband Richard (Clark Gregg). One of her many neuroses is triggered by his dating a younger woman who's also named Christine (Emily Rutherford). Also in her orbit is brother/housemate Matthew (Hamish Linklater), son Richie (Trevor Gagnon), and sassy black business partner Barb (Wanda Sykes).
- Actor Allusion: In one episode, Christine yells 'Get out!' and shoves Barb's chest. This is an allusion to Julia Louis Dreyfus' most famous character, Elaine from Seinfeld.
- Almost Kiss: Christine and Richard have had many of these...
- Black Best Friend: Barb
- Citizenship Marriage: Between Christine and Barb. Controversial example.
- Deadpan Snarker: Matthew.
- Did You Just Have Sex?
- The Ditz: Oh, Christine, so much!
- Even the Guys Want Him: Mr. Harris
- Gaussian Girl: Every shot is slightly out of focus.
- Incest Subtext: there's a lot of incestuous subtext between Christine and Matthew. There was even a scene in which Christine made out with him though it turned out to be a dream.
- One-Steve Limit: Averted. The main character and her ex-husband's girlfriend are both named Christine. Christine's ex also has a girlfriend called Christine.
- Only Sane Man: Barb and Matthew maybe the only two characters on the show who are remotely close to intelligent, but even they're not all that normal.
- Rich Bitch: The Meanie Moms.
- Running Gag: Everyone calling Old Christine 'old', Old Christine's drinking problem.
- Stripper Cop Confusion: A muscular young cop named Officer Johnson arrives on Christine's doorstep to warn her of a prowler in the neighbourhood. However, it happens to be Christine's birthday and she thinks Barb has sent her a stripper. Cue one increasingly confused conversation between Christine and Officer Johnson.
- The New Adventures: Although there aren't really any "old" adventures that occur prior to the show.