|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
This one believes in truth; this one believes in beauty; this one believes in good
A 30-minute animated film directed by Richard Williams in 1958, exploring philosophy without dialogue through the conflicts of three men who visit a little island.
Why so many spoiler tags? Well, let's just say this is a film that's full of surprises...
This short film is an example of:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy
- Chekhov's Gun - the way Truth is dressed when he comes to the island. It's easy to miss.
- Comic Trio
- Fan Nickname - since the three characters are nameless, they're sometimes referred to in reviews and analayses of the film as "Good", "Truth", and "Beauty" for the sake of convenience.
- Implausible Fencing Powers/ Badass - Beauty jumps over a bazooka shell, shish-ka-bobs Good's minions in a single stab, then uses thier muskets as musical instruments. AWESOME.
- Naked People Are Funny
- One-Winged Angel - Beauty and Good in the climax. Also counts as a Shapeshifter Showdown, as they transform into different and more fearsome forms as they get angrier.
- Rocket Punch - how this is pulled off must be seen to be believed.
- The Straight Man - Truth
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome? - hilariously subverted in the climax with Truth and his chalkboard. At first you think it's playing this trope straight, but then the camera pans back, revealing... nope, not gonna spoil it.
- What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs? - The short is pretty trippy
- Your Mind Makes It Real