The Legend of Bagger Vance is a 2000 film about a golf match in the 1930's and one golfer's struggle to overcome his past.
In the 1930s a major golf tournament is scheduled in the town of Savannah, GA, between the greatest golfers of the day, Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, and Rannulf Junuh. While Jones and Hagen are both at the top of their game, Junuh has many unresolved issues that hinder his performance. With the help of his caddy, Bagger Vance, and young Hardy Greaves, Junuh must overcome his demons and find his swing if he is to have a chance of winning the tournament.
This film contains:
- Angel Unaware: Bagger.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bagger, again.
- Down to the Last Play: On the last hole, Junuh has one chance to sink his putt or he'll lose to Jones and Hagen.
- Flash Back: The entire movie is Hardy remembering it as an old man.
- The Great Depression
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Perry White as a sports reporter.
- Magical Negro: Bagger Vance, of course. This point was the cause for a lot of critics to lambaste the film on grounds of being racially insensitive.
- Meditation Powerup: How Bagger helps Junuh.
- Redemption Quest: For Junuh.
- Scenery Porn: There are quite a few sweeping shots of picturesque greens and courses.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Junuh carries a lot of baggage from his wartime experiences.
- War Is Hell: Junuh discovers this the hard way.
- World War One: The war Junuh went off to fight in.