|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Lands of Evelon are a strange, arcane, and mutable place, found just on the edges of reality. Sometimes it's a part of our world--sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's a Medieval European Fantasy; sometimes it's part of the modern day. The nature of Evelon changes with its players. One thing about Evelon is certain--while it bears some resemblance to our modern-day Earth, it's a very different place beneath the surface, and one that plays by its own rules.
The greatest difference between Evelon and our Earth? In addition to humans, Evelon is inhabited by a vast number of intelligent, sapient Mons. Though these creatures have no official names, they do have many nicknames--"pet" is probably the most common (and the one generally accepted as Fanon), since they frequently work with, and are allied to, humans. Others include "creatures" and "critters..." And every other word for "animal" under the sun. Like all good Mons, they have a variety of abilities unavailable to most humans--they can control elemental powers, warp time, travel between this world and the spirit world, see into the past and future, and a host of other things. But humans are not to be trifled with in this land, either--many of them have unusual abilities of their own, and some of them even have Mons at their core as well...
Because listing every trope used by every single character from every single player on the site would get ugly, only character tropes used in "canon" or by a vast number of players shold be counted here.
- Arbitrary Headcount Limit: Players can only adopt 3 pets of a specific species and/or species and color combination, though they can trade for as many members of a non-Com Mons species as they can hold on to.
- Big Badass Wolf: The Lucain, who are not only bigger than ordinary wolves, but have bodies covered in sharp blades. The Werecain have even more blades, and are still huge.
- Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism: There are two different "lines" of penguin pets; one is Always Male while the other is Always Female.
- Also, certain breeds of Paragon can only be male or female. The Primal ("traditional" dragon), DesertHorn (stone), and Nago (Eastern-style) Paragon are all exclusively male; the Placid (spikey), Fairy (butterfly-dragon) and Pipe (multi-eyed "tentacly") Paragon are all exclusively female.
- The Lucain also have separate poses for male and female, as well as males having two tails while females have three. There is also one male-exclusive marking (Warrior) and one female-exclusive marking (Feyline). However, there is one special case where a male Lucain has a female image, but it's a one-time situation.
- Canon Dis Continuity: Players are free to ignore any parts of the descriptions of the Mons, world, or just about anything else that aren't useful to them, and can play their characters any way they choose.
- Career Killers: Assassin-type characters are quite popular.
- Com Mons: Any pet type freely available on the game's main adoption site is considered a common, and cannot be traded (but can still be played with however one likes). Although some species do eventually "retire," those put up on the main site are generally "hoarded" by players, and rarely trade for much.
- Eastern Zodiac: One series of pets is based off the Eastern Zodiac, including the cat. They are:
- Pig: The Taosig
- Ox: The Tuskow
- Rat: The Rattegan
- Dog: The Fellox (which is more of a fox, but eh)
- Rooster: The Roosken
- Monkey: The Rengosett
- Sheep: The Yingshee
- Snake: The Carpetfang
- Horse: The Cavallion
- Rabbit: The Cuniflare
- Tiger: The Taigra
- Dragon: The Xing Yun
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Ice, Electricity, Light, Dark, Acid, and Metal. Not only do certain elements trumph others, but in "double battles," properly-aligned elements can "feed" each other and build their strength.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The Rengosett pet.
- Funny Animal: The "Human Form" trait allows pets to change into anthropomorphic animal, Kemonomimi, or ordinary human forms.
- Giant Flyer: Many--both in giant bird form, and in several type of dragon-type pets.
- Horse of a Different Color: There are many ridable creatures, ranging from giant tarantula/praying-mantis hybrids to hyenas.
- Hot Skitty-On-Wailord Action: The "Skitty on Wailord" part is averted, since only three types of pet species can breed, and then only with others of their species. Of them, the Lucain can pass on differnt patterns and fur coloration depending on their own, Paragon have several different breeds in addition to their coloration, and Kuhnas have a complicated system of "sub-breeds" that only arise when specific types of Kuhnas are bred together.
- Interspecies Romance: There are only three breedable species, but lots of people enjoy having Mons of wildly varying species have romantic relationships with each other.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zed, an NPC played by Random Event 2, usually acts rude to everyone, calling them "Dumb-Dumbs" and similar insults. However, in one of his "games," when a Mr. Wilson he had placed into his alternate world was eaten, he displayed a fury with tears hidden beneath. He later attempted to rescue it, and seemed genuinely concerned. However, very few characters got to see this side of him.
- MacGuffin Girl: In the 2007/2008 Imperial/Purine war plot, Rini the Preluhna was the Maiden's Tear, a gift from a Goddess said to grant immense power.
- Mineral MacGuffin: The Maiden's Tear--or so it was assumed.
- Mister Seahorse: The Lovey-Love Potion (single use) and the Eternal Love Elixir (permanent) allow male pets to become pregnant and give birth/lay eggs... And also allows female pets to impregnante other females.
- No Bisexuals: Surprisingly averted without going to the Everyone Is Bi extreme. Pets that are bisexual to varying degrees exist happily alongside pets who are both completely straight and completely gay.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Many--the Hollowhearts and the Battlehearts are the "standard" draconic pets, but the ultra-rare Paragon are probably the most "different." Among their differences: Many of them have more than 2 eyes, wings made out of crystal or bone, the power to conduct electricity through tentacles on their heads, Charizard-like tail flames...
- Olympus Mons: In the Imperial/Purine War, the 6 most decorated players (the ones who'd amassed the highest score) were each given an elemental egg, which hatched into, and became, the first six Paragon, each one the embodiment of an element.
- There are also the Evils and Purities, which are basically primal forces that can nonetheless be roleplayed just as normal pets can. They are, in fact, Com Mons.
- Also, several users have pets that, despite not being special, are nonetheless "gods."
- Petting Zoo People: Many pets can transform into humans, but some of them still retain the ears and/or tail of their pet form. (In other pets, the transformation is more complete.)
- Random Number God: While the Random Event giver is an actual user on the site, she has recently begun using a die to determine which RPs she will appear in.
- Reality Warper: Zed, mentioned under Jerk with a Heart of Gold, has this ability.
- Schizo-Tech: Loads. The way players play the game ranges from "Medieval European Fantasy" to "vaguely sci-fi."
- Shout-Out: The "X-wockee" pet species is a Shout-Out to the Jabbawockeez dance troupe.
- There Are No Therapists: Many of the characters have some sort of mental trauma. However, any therapists would probably be murdered within seconds.
- The Woobie: The "desk lady" who runs the Breeding Center. He job gave her the jitters so bad, people started bringing her "gifts" in RPs and thanking her after every post.