|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Son of Zeus. At the start of the series Herc was a renegade due to siding with the Hulk in World War Hulk. His attempts to reform himself into a bit more of a "thinker" and play role model to Amadeus Cho quickly grow muddled as he is constantly drawn into the power struggles of the gods including his old enemies from Olympus.
Tropes Associated with Hercules:
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Averted, but this point in time all Amazons besides Hippolyta want him dead.
- Arch Enemy: The God of War, Ares.
- Badass: Definitely!
- Berserker Rage: Occassionally goes or is driven into these making him dangerous to everyone around him.
- Bi the Way: Implied to be during a joke at his funeral.
- Blood Knight: Not so much for the blood as Ares and toned down some from other appearances, but still loves to fight.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Brains and Brawn: Hercules is the brawn and Cho is the brains.
- Brother-Sister Incest: His wife Hebe is the daughter of Zeus and Hera making her his half-sister.
- Carry a Big Stick: When he uses a weapon he prefers his adamantine mace.
- Dumb Muscle: He is capable of tactical thinking, but displays surprising levels of stupidity at times. Even lampshaded at one point.
- Foil: To Ares and The Mighty Thor
- Healing Factor: Slow compared to someone like Wolverine and almost never used thanks to his toughness, but he has one.
- The Hero: Greatest hero of ancient Greece, champion of Olympus and even named the "God of Heroes"
- Leeroy Jenkins. Usually his great strength is enough, but sometimes it has nearly cost him and his allies dear.
- Nigh Invulnerability: Virtually nothing can hurt him when he is a full god making battle a game.
- The Obi-Wan: To Amadeus Cho
- Really Gets Around: A reoccurring joke until we meet his immortal wife Hebe.
- Super Strength: Duh!
- Wrestler in All of Us: One of the best of all time and invented the mixed-martial art of Pankration.
- You Killed My Father: To Amatsu-Mikaboshi during their stint on the God Squad.
The constantly proclaimed "seventh smartest" person on the planet. His family was murdered in an explosion and he has been on the run since. Drawn to Hercules for protection following the disaster of World War Hulk. In the process of finding what happened to his family draws surprising connections to the Olympian gods. Famous for his ability to make almost infinite mathematical complex calculations within moments.
Tropes Associated with Amadeus Cho:
- Asian and Nerdy
- Battle of Wits: When he meets the person responsible for his family's death, the sixth smartest person in the world.
- Brains and Brawn: He is the Brains and Hercules is the brawn.
- The Chosen One: As far as Athena is concerned.
- The Hero: Due to events toward the end and what the plan certain gods have for him.
- The Hero's Journey: His story throughout the series.
- If My Calculations Are Correct: His hypermind power
- Insufferable Genius: Early on. One of his storylines has him slowly growing out of this.
- Marty Stu: Came across this to many readers when he was first created thanks to showing up fellow super-geniuses Reed Richards and Tony Stark. Toned down and became a more balanced character later in the series debatable if he retained traits of this.
- Sidekick: To Hercules
The goddess of wisdom, battle, heroic endeavor, and half-sister to Hercules. In ancient times she aided many heroes including Hercules by either providing advice, magical items or both. She aids Hercules in modern times and turns out to be responsible for many of the events in Hercules and Cho's lives across the ages.
Tropes Associated with Athena
- Badass Bookworm
- Because You Can Cope: Type 1. Considers herself Herc's true mother, but does this to him in favor of Cho.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Can easily come across as one due to events at the end of the series.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Upon inheriting Zeus's Thunderbolt, but far weaker than his.
- Hot Librarian
- Lady of War
- The Mentor: To both Hercules and Cho
- My Girl Is Not a Slut
- The Spock
A decendent of the Gorgons. She started out as an Amazon general and slave to the previous Amazon queen Artume. She fell in love with Cho and opposed Artume's plan to conquer the world killing her in the end. Thanks to this she became the new queen of the Amazons, but was forced to put her relationship with Cho on hold due to Amazonian custom and her alliance with Hera. She lacks the traditional petrification gaze since it runs through only the Medusa line.
Tropes Associated with Delphyne
- Action Girl
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Averted, aside from the former queen Hippolyta all the Amazons hate Hercules for his womanizing ways.
- Catholic School Girls Rule: Her outfit.
- Gorgeous Gorgon
- Hot Amazon
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: Seeks to lift the Gorgon curse which had doomed her people for centuries.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Sides with Hera to destroy Athena and remove the Gorgon curse, but has little loyalty toward any of the Olympians and won't hesitate to pull a gun on them when she disagrees with their actions.
- Too Dumb to Live: Borderline, she constantly threatens gods who could destroy her with ease with weapons that should not hurt them.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Queen of the gods, goddess of marriage and main antagonist for the middle part of the series. She is the stepmother to Hercules and Athena. She regards them as deadly enemies and like in ancient times seeks to destroy them for perceived wrongs done in the past. With the death of Zeus she inherited both command of Olympus and his powerful Thunderbolt making her more dangerous than ever.
Tropes Associated with Hera
- Big Bad: In the middle of the series.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Inherited Zeus's Thunderbolt letting her shoot energy as lighting, but far less powerful than him.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Disproportionate Retribution: Hates Hercules and Athena for the crime of being born Zeus's children to other women.
- Evil Versus Evil: VS the Green Goblin
- God Save Us From the Queen: Worse than ever.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Omnicidal Maniac: Her plan for surviving the coming war with the Chaos King.
- Woman Scorned
A storm-giant/monster created by Gaea to avenge the defeat of the giants in the Gigantomachy by destroying the Olympians. He was defeated by Zeus thousands of years ago and imprisoned in Tartarus. Released to serve Hera, but still has his own agenda.
Tropes Associated with Typhon:
- An Axe to Grind: Has an ax that can hurt Hercules and summon storms.
- Beard of Evil
- Blow You Away
- The Dragon: To Hera.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Still plans to carry out destruction of the Olympians and willing to kill any he can.
- The Dreaded: When first appeared he so scared the gods that all save Athena fled to Egypt and hid as animals.
- Mode Lock: The form we see before us is not his true form, but a punishment from Zeus.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Typhon can split his limbs into multitudes of snakes as a returned power from his old self.
- One-Winged Angel: In ancient times was much more powerful and capable of matching Zeus. In modern times he has been reduced to a much weaker, but still very powerful form. He never does achieve his true power.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent
- Restraining Bolt: A bracelet to keep him from turning on Hera and killing her. It eventually fails, and he does kill both her and Zeus.
King of the gods and in one way or another related to just about all the characters in the series. Killed before events in the series, but is restored a little over half-way through as a kid with no memories. Regains his throne and full power by end of the series.
Tropes Associated with Zeus
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Just ask the Hulk
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: His signature power source is his Thunderbolt and about the only way he uses his energy powers.
- Easy Amnesia: Thanks to waters from the River Lethe
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How Amatsu-Mikaboshi killed him.
- Kid Sidekick: After his memory is erased temporarily replaces Cho as Hercules's sidekick.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: As an amnesiac kid he is still pompous and smiteful, but far more noble and truly sorry of the pain he caused Hera.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Gives the Hulk one of the most vicious and thorough beatings he's ever received.
- Really Gets Around: Much to Hera's hatred
- Shock and Awe: Even without his Thunderbolt he can still summon storms and shoot lighting.
- Vetinari Job Security: Pluto, Hera, Apollo and Athena all either replaced or are considered replacements for Zeus as the Lord of Olympus. All are either crazy, evil, completely cold, or implied to be somehow just as bad if not worse than Zeus.
The God of War (the more violent aspects of it compared to Athena) and perhaps Hercules' greatest rival. In recent times, he has become less of a villain and more of an extremly violent anti-hero. A former member of Iron Man's Mighty Avengers and Green Goblin's Dark Avengers. Currently dead.
Tropes Associated with Ares
- Adaptational Badass
- An Axe to Grind: The weapon Ares usually favours most.
- A Lighter Shade of Grey: It's hard to say he pulled a Heel Face Turn, but he's not as bad as he used to be.
- Anti-Hero: Type V with at rare moments Type IV.
- Arch Enemy: Is this to Hercules.
- Axe Crazy
- Blood Knight
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Hercules' Abel.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Hates his son Kyknos for being a sadist.
- Good Parents: He tries hard to raise Phobos right, even leaving Olympus to get a job as a construction worker in New York City.
- Half the Man He Used To Be.
- Killed Off for Real: Well, for now anyways.
- Morality Pet: Phobos.
- Multi Melee Master: Ares is good with pretty much any weapon, even modern ones like Gatling Guns.
- Papa Wolf
- Physical God
- Super Strength: Tied with Pluto & Poseidon and only Hercules & Zeus surpass him in raw strength on Olympus.
- Sociopathic Hero
- Token Good Teammate: Among the Dark Avengers.
- War God: He takes this to the extreme when he chooses James Rhodes aka War Machine as his new champion, while James is on trial.
- The Worf Effect: For the Avengers, often toted as being a tactical genius and near the same power class as Hercules. Most often the first to go down.
The God of the Dead (not Death), Pluto is the brother of Zeus & Neptune, and ruler of the Olympian Underworld after the drew straws for what they would rule. Eventually wanting more then just this, over the years, Pluto has become an enemy to Hercules as he seeks more power.
Tropes Associated with Pluto
- Bald of Evil
- The Don: When Hera forced the Olympians to assume mortal identites, he chose this as he's still a Lord of the Underworld".
- The Dragon: Has one in Thanatos
- Evil Uncle
- Everybody Hates Hades
- The Resenter
- The Starscream
- Touch of Death
First introduced in the Ares mini as the Japanese god of evil where it killed Zeus and laid waste to Olympus before being stopped. Released from its prison within Yomi to use his shapeshifting powers to aid against the Skrull gods. It is thought to have been killed, but survived and becomes the biggest villain of the entire series. Toward the end revealed to be an embodiment of the primordial chaos that preceded creation.
Tropes Associated with Mikaboshi
- Big Bad: For the "Chaos War" event that concluded the series.
- Black Magic: His powers draw on this, and Olympians are weak to it.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Hercules's attempts to constantly punch it out do nothing but fail.
- Casting a Shadow / Power of the Void
- Cosmic Entity: He is Anti-Eternity.
- Dark Is Evil
- Eldritch Abomination: An embodiment of the pure chaos that preceded creation.
- Evil Twin: To Eternity.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Considers the torments of hell to be horrifying.
- God of Evil
- The Juggernaut: When he becomes Chaos King.
- Multiversal Conqueror: Seeks to absorb all of existence back into itself.
- No Biological Sex: Technically speaking, it's true form is a golden, slitted eye surrounded by darkness, but as Amatsu-Mikaboshi, it prefers a female form to let it's opponents' guard down.
- Primordial Chaos
- Omnicidal Maniac: Believes existence itself is abhorrent and wants a return to the peace of pure chaos.
- One-Winged Angel: At the beginning of Chaos War when it reverts from its Kami form to its true form.
- Our Dragons Are Different: One of his most useful morphs is a giant, black dragon whose fire breath burns even Apollo.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: After the end of Chaos War, he is sealed in a sub-dimensional plane.
- Shape Shifter
- Token Evil Teammate: Among the God Squad.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In a twisted way, seeks to end the suffering caused by existence and cites some like damned souls in hell would even welcome the release it brings.