|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
What happens when The Cat in the Hat meets the title character of How the Grinch Stole Christmas? The answer appears in this animated television special, produced by Marvel Productions in 1982. Originally titled The Cat in the Hat Gets Grinched, it was the last new television special based on the works of Dr. Seuss until the animated adaptation of The Butter Battle Book seven years later.
Things start out on a typical day in the lives of the two title characters. The Grinch, under orders from his own reflection in the mirror, is out making people's lives miserable when he suddenly crosses paths with the Cat in the Hat, who is out trying to have a picnic. The Cat unwittingly incurs the wrath of the Grinch, who then proceeds to make the Cat's day miserable by building devices with which to warp the sounds of the Cat's voice, and those of other animals, and darken the Cat's surroundings. The Cat grows upset with the Grinch's hijinks and tries to figure out how to put a stop to it all.
- Animation Bump: The animation isn't quite up to where it was in How The Grinch Stole Christmas, but it's significantly better than the very cheap-looking animation that made up most of Grinch Night, and about on par with the first Cat in the Hat animated special.
- Berserk Button: The Grinch doesn't take kindly to being called "Mr. Greenface".
- Bowdlerise: Some VHS releases cut out the second half of the car chase.
- Chekhov's Gun: The picture of the Grinch's mother seen near the start might seem like a throwaway gag at first, but it ultimately turns out to be an important plot point.
- Cool Car: The Grinch's car. The Cat in the Hat also drives one.
- Cool Hat: Guess who?
- Crossover: Of two of Dr. Seuss' most iconic works.
- Disney Acid Sequence: The Grinch inflicts one of these on the Cat and the other patrons of the restaurant he's visiting.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: How the Cat ultimately foils the Grinch.
- The Man in the Mirror Talks Back