- Accidental Innuendo: I mean, seriously, One-Eyed Willie. That's like a thirty-innuendo pile-up waiting to happen.
- Cult Classic: Another one of the 80s kid adventure films
- Magic Franchise Word: "Hey you guys!"
- Memetic Mutation:
- Recently spawned a string of indie T-shirts in the UK, bearing slogans such as 'Sloth love Chunk' and 'Do the Truffle Shuffle!'
- And on YTMND, there are various sites based around Chunk, like "Chunk is Indestructable", where Captain Picard from Star Trek: First Contact tries to shoot down Chunk, and "Chunk Addresses Congress", where Chunk chastises the US Congress over the War in Iraq.
- "HEY YOU GUYS!!!"
- Ho Yay: The scene where Steph is comforting Andy when the gang encountered the skeleton of Chester Copperpot. Highlighted by Martha Plimpton in the commentary: "This is our love scene right here..."
- Nightmare Fuel: The "It" in the basement. The pirate ship has a bunch of these with all the surprises and skeletons.
- Special Effect Failure:
- The reason for cutting the scene of the octopus, which was about as threatening as a bathtub toy.
- On the DVD Commentary, Jeff Cohen berates Richard Donner for one unfortunate bluescreen shot of the kids standing in front of the beach coastline.
Jeff Cohen: The worst bluescreen effect in the history of filmmaking!
Corey Feldman: Hey I saw Superman, and I believed a man could fly.
Jeff Cohen: You could show a man flying through the air, but couldn't show a bunch of kids standing in front of a coast?
- Ugly Cute: Sloth
- Weird Al Effect: People are more likely to assume "Hey you guys!" is from this movie rather than The Electric Company.
- The Woobie: Poor Sloth. Even when we and Chunk still assume he's a dangerous Madman in The Attic, it's impossible not to feel bad for him as he sits chained to his seat, begging for food from his Jerkass brother.