|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Goddess Test is a 2011 Young Adult novel written by Aimee Carter.
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
A sequel entitled Goddess Interrupted is scheduled for a 2012 release.
Tropes used in The Goddess Test include:
- Classical Mythology: It happened. Notably uses 14 Olympians instead of 12 by including Hades and Hestia.
- Dogged Nice Guy: James
- Everybody Hates Hades: Heavily averted.
- Immortality Seeker: Kate. However, she's not exactly actively seeking it out, she sort of just fell into the situation.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch / Spoiled Sweet: Ava, to varying degrees.
- Of Corset Hurts: Kate despises corsets and dresses in general
- Sadly Mythtaken: Just a little bit, but Justified.
- Secret Test of Character: All of the tests. Kate is only explicitly told about one test.
- Seven Deadly Sins: Turns out to be Kate's 7 tests