|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Girl in Lovers Lane is a 1959 movie centered on two drifters, the older, experienced Bix Dugan and the young, naive Danny Winslow, who arrive in the small town of Sherman. Upon arriving, Bix starts up a relationship with an innocent young waitress named Carrie, who's already being romantically pursued by creepy delivery man Jesse. Eventually, Bix realizes he's going to have to leave Sherman soon, and attempts to break things off with Carrie. Things take a turn for the tragic, however, when, on the night Bix and Danny are supposed to leave, Carrie is murdered by Jesse.
- Abusive Parents: Bix's backstory
- Bad Guy Bar: Well, pool hall, really.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: In contrast to the generically good-looking heroes, Jesse, played by Jack Elam, is ugly as sin.
- Big Brother Mentor: Bix.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Jesse. Carrie, Bix and Danny all see him as the creep he is, but everyone else considers him harmless until the very end.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Carrie, after being attacked by Jesse, dies in Bix's arms.
- Dying Declaration of Love: Again, Carrie, to Bix.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Bix feels responsible for his dad's death due to this trope. What actually happened was that Bix punched his abusive father in self-defense, and the lout died of an alcohol-induced heart attack.
- Idiot Ball: Even though the sheriff and his deputy are standing guard, they leave the jailhouse unlocked and have both their guns and the cell keys in easy access for intruders, which the lynch mob very easily takes advantage of.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bix
- May-December Romance: Danny and Sadie the hooker, going by Bix's comments. Due to Dawson Casting, however, it doesn't look like there's much of a difference.
- Near-Rape Experience: Bix stops one between Jesse and Carrie.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Carrie's father delivers one to Bix, after Carrie's murder. In Bix' defense, this is because he absolutely refuses to fight back due to what happened with his father (see I Wished You Were Dead, above).
- Papa Wolf: Bix, towards Danny
- Police Are Useless: Almost averted. The sheriff locks Bix in the cell to protect him from the lynch mob until he can receive a fair trial, but is useless when it comes to stopping the mob from barging in and taking the keys.
- The Runaway: Danny, who left home when his parents decided to get a divorce.
- Stalker with a Crush: Jesse
- Train Escape: Our introduction to Danny