The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
The Gate is a 1980s horror movie where three children are left alone for the weekend. Through a set of contrived circumstances, they open a gate to hell in the backyard.
This movie exhibits the following tropes:
- Body Horror: The demons cause an eye to grown in the protagonist's hand at one point.
- Demonic Possession: Happens to the protagonists best friend partway through the movie.
- Dragged Off to Hell: The protagonist's sister and friend. He has to rescue them.
- Hell Gate: The centerpiece of the plot.
- Jerkass: All of the sisters friends are this to the younger boys.
- The Legions of Hell: Are mostly tiny devil things. At first...
- Not Now, Kiddo: Not too painfully played, but the older sister doesn't believe themat first.
- Our Demons Are Different: Mostly small, hunchbacked gray imps with one huge, four armed sloth thing leading them. They also have more Lovecraftian themes surrounding them than Satanic ones.
- Separated From the Adults: The whole movie takes place while the parents are on vacation.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: The demons appear as the parents seconds after they first arrive. They break their diguise before they even speak, but all they ever say is "YOU'VE BEEN BAAAAAD!".
- Subliminal Seduction: Inverted. The record is openly occult and is actually part of the coincidence that summons the demons. Playing it backwards provides the spell to banish them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.