|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Fury is a thriller film from the year 1978. It is based on a novel written by John Farris and was directed by Brian De Palma.
The film follows Peter Sandza (Kirk Douglas), whose friend Ben Childress -- who works for a shady, unnamed government intelligence -- arranges a fake terrorist attack to kill him and during the chaos kidnaps his son, Robin, intending to put his tremendous psychic powers to good use in the Cold War. Peter starts a desperate search for his son and tracks him to Chicago, where he enlists the aid of Gillian, a budding telepath. Determined to silence Peter, Ben and his cronies are constantly hindering the process. Meanwhile, the experiments they've forced Robin to undergo have made him dangerously violent...
This film has the examples of:
- Accidental Murder
- Auto Erotica
- Big Bad Friend: Childress.
- Chase Scene
- Cold War
- Destination Defenestration: Happens to innocent bystanders, main characters and, of course, Mooks.
- Driven to Suicide
- Dutch Angle
- Every Car Is a Pinto
- Exposition Beam
- False-Flag Operation: Childress fakes a terrorist attack to kill Peter and to capture his son.
- The Film of the Book
- Government Conspiracy
- Grievous Bottley Harm: Crazed Robin attacks his father with a bottle when he is finally found by him.
- Harassing Phone Call
- Kiss of Death: Gillian gives one to Childress before blowing him up in the end.
- Male Gaze: Gillian is introduced to us at a beach, her backside first.
- Man In Black: Childress.
- Mind Over Matter
- Obviously Evil: Childress.
- Playing with Syringes
- Psychic Nosebleed: Gillian's unfamiliarity with her powers causes bleeding on people who touch her, especially if they're already injured in some way.
- Psychic Powers
- Red Right Hand: Childress' permanently damaged arm.
- Self-Made Orphan: Almost -- Robin attempts to kill his father during his rampage.
- Sinister Shades: Childress.
- Slow Motion: Used when Gillian breaks out from the Paragon Institute. The sequence goes on for several minutes.
- Super Empowering: Dying Robin passes his powers to Gillian.
- Take My Hand
- Tears of Blood
- Window Pain: Gillian has a flashback where she sees Robin accidentally falling through a window.
- The Windy City