|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"I wasn't trying to make a massive series. I was just trying to see if I could make one and then people wanted more."
Darknal (the real Darknal, not his Author Avatar)
In the first three episodes, three Spartans: Darknal, Cosmic, and Conan; are stranded on a Halo ring. They have been abandoned by their army, which evacuated while they were on a mission. The trio have to fight their way through legions of Elites to get to the last Hornet aircraft on the ring, which will take them up to their army's mothership.
Episode 3 ends in a climactic battle between the protagonists and a troop of other Spartans they meet on their journey and a large contingent of Elites. The Spartans lose, and episode 4 backpedals to show us what happened prior to episode 1.
Eventually, the prequel episodes that follow catch back up to the events of Episode 3, after which Cosmic and Darknal wake up in a hospital. Conan has gone missing, and a huge number of Elite and Spartan reinforcements have arrived. The Elites have a plan to destroy the human race, and the Spartans must defeat them.
This series provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Ace - Darknal
- Action Girl - Dolphina
- Artifact Title - the Forgotten Spartans get Remembered in Episode 6.
- Author Avatar - The three main characters (Cosmic, Darknal, and Conan) are named for their respective actors' X Box Live profile names.
- Awesome McCoolname - There are no "Bobs" or "Alices" here. Just Cosmic, Darknal, Conan, and Dolphina.
- Beam Spam
- Big Damn Heroes - In the climax of episode 7, Master Chief shows up to save the day. Which is awesome.
- The Big Guy - Every character counts, really, but heavy-weapons specialist Conan deserves a special mention.
- Honor Before Reason
- Invisibility Flicker - the Elites
- The Lancer - Cosmic
- Macross Missile Massacre
- Mooks - The Elites, who are far less elite here than they are in cannon.
- Nakama - The titular Forgotten Spartans.
- Patchwork Map - Justified. When you're on a ring-shaped artificial planet, all bets are off.
- Refuge in Cool
- Scenery Porn
- Stay in the Kitchen - Conan is outright sexist—even sexists think he's too sexist.
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Time Skip - One week in Episode 5
- Token Minority - Conan is the only American in his otherwise British squad.
- Token Girl - Dolphina