|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Written by GameTrekker, this story follows a young Dreamlander named Popopo, who lives a peaceful life in Vegetable Valley. Unfortunately, he is forced to flee his home when a evil force called Dark Matter possesses most of its inhabitants, including King Dedede. Aided by a mysterious, unseen man named Gooey, he is forced to embark on an epic adventure that slowly transforms him into a Star Warrior.
After adopting the alias "Kirby", he travels across Pop Star, searching for the shards of the broken Star Rod, the only weapon that can banish Dark Matter. But the Eldritch Abomination is slowly possessing the entire planet, and it's only a matter of time before Pop Star is lost...
When this story begins, it is written in an extremely simplistic style, but slowly grows in complexity and quality as it advances. It is currently being revised (link).
The Dream Land Story provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: Very much so; For starters, this story takes plot elements from almost all the games and mixes them together. The result is a lot Better Than It Sounds.
- And the Adventure Continues...: The story ends with Kirby beginning another mission: to finish off Nightmare, who wasn't destroyed with Dark Matter.
- Badass Adorable: Every. Single. Freaking. Character. Including Chuchu, who's been turned from a Chick into a full-blown Action Girl.
- Biological Mashup: Meta Knight.
- The Cameo: The final Titan of Titan Tower is Rayman.
- Canon Foreigner: Escargoon, who was already an foreigner to begin with, is a major part of the Meta Army in this story.
- Canon Immigrant: R.O.B, who becomes Tac's ally.
- Character Development: Happens to Kirby over the course of the story. While he starts as carefree and somewhat of a Cloudcuckoolander, he eventually becomes a hardened warrior.
- Cluster F-Bomb / Precision F-Strike: Captain Birdbrain really likes this. Thankfully, it's all censored.
- Determinator: Meta Knight. He puts killing Kirby at a higher priority than killing Dark Matter.
- Dismantled MacGuffin: The Star Rod.
- Driven to Suicide: Meta Knight.
- Doorstopper: 87 chapters long. 87 EPIC chapters long.
- Eldritch Abomination: Dark Matter, Nightmare, Possessed Marx, and Meta Knight.
- Five-Man Band: Not necessarily five man, but the main characters have the right characteristics:
- Heroic Sacrifice: Marx sacrifices himself to destroy Mecheye, taking the Meta Base with it. The explosion results in him getting his entire jaw blown off.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The ultimate fate of Meta Knight. To make matters worse, being a mutant, he has blood, unlike most Dream Landers.
- Killed Off for Real: Marx, quite messily.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: And how!
- Mythology Gag: In the story, Kirby's original name was Popopo, like it was in real life during the development of Kirby's Dreamland.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Kirby's nightmares after Dark Matter possesses him and puts him into a hellish dreamlike state are said to be so horrible that they could have permanently scarred him. Said dreams are never described, leaving the rest to the reader's imagination.
- Running Gag: "Plan [insert letter here] failed, dude!"
- Took a Level In Badass: Kirby was already badass in the games, but by the story's end, he has taken down several nearly unstoppable monsters, not to mention he has the power to summon and combine abilities at will, as well as being able to summon the Star Rod. Not to mention ending it by executing an epic final assault against Dark Matter. Most of the characters, including Chuchu, and even Gooey, went through this treatment as well.
- Totally Radical: Meta Drone's new voice, dude!
- Verbal Tic: Like, Chuchu says "like" a lot!
- Villainous Breakdown: Meta Knight gradually suffers this further and further as the story progresses, especially when Marx sacrifices himself to destroy Mecheye and take the entire Meta Base with it, resulting in Meta Knight getting so angry that he actually clenches his teeth in an angrily toothy fashion.
- World of Badass: Even some of the most minor characters could still kick your ass.