The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
- Bellisario's Maxim: Emmerich has stated that the film was never intended to be scientifically accurate - the credits claim it was based on the book The Coming Global Superstorm, by Art Bell and Whitney Striber.
- Critical Research Failure / Did Not Do the Research: Subverted. While the movie is routinely mocked for gross inaccuracies in climatology, Roland Emmerich has stated multiple times that this movie was not intended to accurately depict realistic climate change or the effects of global warming. It's just a disaster flick, you should really just relax.
- Don't Shoot the Message: While real-life climatologists were glad to see the subject of climate change and global warming getting attention from Hollywood, they've expressed concern that the film's depiction of climate change might desensitize audiences to the reality of the issue.
- Fridge Brilliance: The moral of the film becomes more tolerable when you realize that it's not saying that Global Warming is going to turn the world into a wasteland in an absurdly short period of time, but it's actually saying that Gloabal Warming is happening faster than we think.
- Fridge Logic: Several places -- for example, the Heroic Sacrifice in the mall.
- If the President had just stayed where he was, he could have lived.
- Alright, dad, so when you get to the library that your son or son's corpse may or may not be at, what are you going to do?
- "Yeah, guys, let's burn all of these books, which could very well contain the only human knowledge left on this world, instead of the thick wooden furniture, which would burn longer and leave less smoke!"
- Funny Aneurysm Moment / Hilarious in Hindsight: The movie bases its premise on the next Ice Age being caused by global warming. The record cold winter of late '09 / early '10 was pinned on global warming by some climatologists. It's known that global warming can cause a reduction in temperatures in the north, just not anywhere nearly as cold and fast as in the movie.
- Tornadoes touched down briefly in Southern California in January 2010.
- Special Effects Failure: The CGI wolves are awful. And the fact that Industrial Light and Magic of all companies did them only makes it 10 times worse.
- Unfortunate Implications: The global freezing stops at political frontiers.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.