|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
She has found away to return from death. But, something came back with her.
The Dark is a British horror film based on Simon Maginn novel Sheep. Set in Wales, bratty teenager Sarah (Abigail Stone) and her mother Adele (Maria Bello) visit her dad James (Sean Bean). Due to an unintentional moment of abuse at Adele's house, Sarah now hates her mother and wishes to live with her father.
Whilst staying with James, Adele and Sarah learn of "Annwyn", the Welsh equivalent of the afterlife and how a cult led by a man known as the Shepherd who all committed suicide under the belief that it was a better life in the next world. However, mysterious things start to occur like the local flock of sheep begin to jump off a cliff to their deaths, and Sarah disappears without a trace, believed to have died. As Adele frantically tries to find out why her daughter has gone, a Welsh named Ebril appears - the only catch is that she has been dead for fifty years.
The film was panned by critics and audiences alike, although Ebril seems to have gained some love.
This film provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Adele is implied to have been, particularly when she slaps Sarah, leading to her attempted suicide. Afterwards she becomes The Atoner.
- The Shepherd became this after Ebril returned from the dead the first time, torturing her in an attempt to extract the evil from her.
- Affably Evil: Ebril.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Ebril.
- Back From the Dead: Ebril has pulled this off three times.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Sarah, although she has good reason.
- Creepy Child: Ebril.
- Cry for the Devil: For Ebril and her father to some extent.
- Dark Secret
- Demonic Possession: Ebril is implied to have picked up a hitchhiker when she came back from the dead.
- Driven to Suicide: There is plenty in this film. Aside from suicidal sheep, the Shepherd manipulated all of his followers, save the young Dafydd, to jump off a cliff to bring Ebril back from death. Sarah also tried to take her life using sleeping pills.
- Killed Off for Real: Ebril three times, Dayfdd and Adele.
- Land of My Fathers and Their Sheep
- Mama Bear: Adele.
- Papa Wolf: James, to both Sarah and Ebril.
- Religion of Evil: The Shepherd's.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The afterlife is implied to be this for the Shepherd and Ebril.
- Secret Keeper: Dayfdd. He was the sole survivor of the Shepherd's suicidal followers, and lived with him and Ebril for a time.
- Skeleton Key: A key which Adele holds on to for most of the film. Previously used by Dayfdd to free Ebril from her room.
- Stringy Haired Ghost Girl: Ebril.
- Torture Cellar