The Bad Guy Wins is usually a definitive ending to a story.
This story, however, is when an alternate future, alternate timeline or parallel universe exists when the villain won.
Thus, this trope differs from The Bad Guy Wins in that it's a scenario that could have happened, rather than a scenario than has happened. In the regular timeline/universe, the villain in question has been defeated (or at least has yet to suceed at Taking Over The World).A staple of this trope is taking the meekest and/or most laidback member of the main cast, and make him/her the battle-scarred soldier leading the resistance.
While this is often a Bad Future, as this can also involve parallel universes, this is just as often a Bad Present.
Anime and Manga
- Trunks comes from an alternate future when Android 18 and Android 17 took over Earth and killed most of the Z Fighters.
- Age of Apocalypse is an alternate universe when Apocalypse took over Earth because of Charles Xavier's death in this universe, so Magneto leads the X-Men in the fight against Apocalypse
- Days of Future Past is an alternate universe when Sentinels have taken over the Earth and exterminated most of the superpowered population
- Future's End is an alternate universe when Brother Eye took over Earth, and most of the population suffered from Unwilling Roboticisation.
- Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time shows an alternate future when Kim's arch-nemesis, Shego, has sucessfully taken over the Earth.
- After Shrek makes a Deal with Rumpletiltskin to eliminate one day of Shrek's life in exchange for peace and quiet for Shrek, it's revealed that the day Rumpletiltskin eliminated is the day Shrek was born, creating an alternate timeline when Rumpletiltskin took over Dunloch, Far Far Away, and Shrek's swamp.
- Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension shows the Second Dimension, an alternate dimension when Dr. Doofenshmirtz suceeded at taking over the Tri-State Area
- In Cinderella III: A Twist in Time, after Lady Tremaine steals the Fairy Godmother's wand, she uses its magic to create an alternate timeline when Anastasia married Prince Charming (and thus is heir to the throne of the kingdom).
- It's revealed that X-Men, X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine and the "bad present" scenes of X-Men: Days of Future Past are all part of an alternate timeline when the Sentinels have taken over Earth and are exterminating mutants one by one. The "regular" timeline is made of the 70s scenes of Days of Future Past, the "good present" scenes of Days of Future Past, Deadpool, X-Men Apocalypse, Deadpool 2, The New Mutants and Dark Phoenix.
- The Star Trek Kelvin Timeline consists of three movies (Star Trek, Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Trek Beyond) when the evil Romulan Nero, despite being defeated and killed in said timeline, still manages to destroy Planet Vulcan and wipe out pretty much the entire Vulcan race (as well as killing George Kirk by destroying the USS Kelvin, hence the name for this alternate timeline).
- In Back to the Future Part II, the future Biff Tannen uses the Delorean to go back to 1955 and give his younger self a sports almanac from the future. This creates an alternate timeline where Biff becomes so rich by betting on sports events depicted on the almanac that he takes over Hill Valley.
- One of the earliest examples of this trope is the movie It's a Wonderful Life, where the angel Clarence shows George Bailey an alternate timeline where Corrupt Corporate Executive Mr. Potter took over the entire town because George wasn't born in this timeline.
- In the Power Rangers Mystic Force two-parter "Dark Wish", Imperious get ahold of Jenji's lamp. Despite Jenji being a Benevolent Genie, he still has to grant Imperious' wish, creating an alternate timeline when Imperious took over Earth.
- The Trope Namer is the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "The Cutie Remark" . Due to Starlight Glimmer travelling back in time to prevent Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom, several alternates timelines are created: one where King Sombra won, another where Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings won, another when Nightmare Moon won, another when Discord won, and another when the Flim Flam Brothers won
- An episode of Gargoyles shows an alternate future when a cybernetic David Xanatos took over Earth.
- An episode of Xiaolin Showdown showed an alternate future when an older Jack Spicer took over Earth because Bumi wasn't there to stop him.