|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Cruel Sea is a novel about life on a corvette in the Royal Navy in World War II, written by Nicholas Monsarrat.
This novel provides examples of:
- Brits With Battleships: Brits in corvettes, for the most part.
- Ensign Newbie: Ferraby and Lockhart. Lockhart gets better rather faster than Ferraby does.
- Fluffy the Terrible: As the name says, the "Flower" class Corvettes were all named for kinds of flowers. It is specifically mentioned that the Navy had made sure "Pansy" was not on the list.
- Foregone Conclusion: We are told on the first page that Compass Rose will sink and be replaced.
- The Neidermeyer: Bennett, a lazy bully. He bullies Ferraby in particular, because Bennett thinks it's fun.