|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Charwoman's Shadow is a fantasy novel written by Lord Dunsany. A nobleman sends his son off to a magician to learn how to make gold, for his sister's dowry. He discovers an elderly charwoman lives there, distressed that she has lost her shadow to the magician, and more distressed when she found the hero has done the same.
Tropes found in this work.
- Affably Evil
- Antiquated Linguistics
- Cinderella Circumstances: The charwoman.
- Evil Sorcerer
- Florence Nightingale Effect: How the love potion works
- Good Hurts Evil: How the fake shadow is driven off
- Good Shepherd: The priest rescues the hero from the fake shadow and gives him advice.
- Impoverished Patrician: Drives the plot
- Love Potion: The magician teaches him to make one. Things get interesting.
- The Magic Goes Away: When the hero leaves, the magician leaves the world and takes the