|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Brady Kids was the Animated Adaptation of The Brady Bunch, produced by Filmation and originally airing from 1972 to 1974 on ABC. Most of the plot was about their misadventures and their songs. They had instruments, too: Greg and Peter on guitars, Bobby on drums, Marcia on tambourine and Jan on keyboards. Added was Cindy (in front of Greg) on a smaller guitar. Alice and the parents were missing from the series, and Tiger had been replaced by Moptop, a different dog. They also had two pet pandas that spoke nothing but Chinese-sounding gibberish and a magical myna bird. They had a musical performance Once an Episode, and encountered various different guest stars, from Wonder Woman (in her first animated appearance) to The Lone Ranger.
Tropes used by the show:
- Animated Adaptation
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Ping and Pong, the two pandas. It's all gibberish meant to sound Chinese.
- Band Toon
- Cloudcuckoolander: Fleetwood, an added character
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: The Wonder Woman episode almost seems to be setting this up with Jan, who insists brain power is superior to physical strength. But the end of the episode has both her and Marcia learning that "the ultimate equation is a healthy body plus a healthy mind".
- Cowboy Episode: The Brady Kids had two: "Long Gone Silver" (guest-starring The Lone Ranger) and "Give Me a Home Where the Panda Bears Roam and the Dog and the Mynah Bird Play".
- Feather Fingers: Marlon the myna bird uses them.
- Gratuitous Animal Sidekick / Team Pet: Moptop, along with two pandas.
- Heli Critter: Marlon would fly by spinning his tail feathers like a rotor.
- Jerkass: Chuck White, an added character.
- Limited Animation / Lazy Artist: And how. The animation of the kids walking and performing songs were exact duplicate motions from Filmation's Archie series of four years earlier.
- Meganekko: Jan
- Pandaing to the Audience: Two pandas are their team pets.
- Wizard Hat: Marlon
- The Seventies: Very evident.
- Shout-Out: In A Very Brady Sequel, when Roy Martin / Trevor Thomas experiences his spaghetti-induced Mushroom Samba, he sees Marlon, Ping, Pong, and the Filmation versions of the kids.
- Sidekick Ex Machina: Whenever the Brady kids were in a jam, Marlon could always help them.
- Special Guest: Special mention goes to the kids meeting Wonder Woman in her first animated adaptation.
- What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs??: Just ask Roy Martin in A Very Brady Sequel.