|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Bear, (also known as L'Ours) is a 1988 adventure film directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud (who would years later do Two Brothers). It is adapted from the novel The Grizzly King.
After his mother is killed in a freak accident, an orphan bear cub hooks up with a wounded Kodiak bear as they try to dodge human hunters.
Not to be confused with Bear, which is a direct-to-video horror film that also features bears.
The film uses the following tropes:
- Badass: The Kodiak
- Everything's Worse with Bears: Averted with the cub, but played straight with the hunters.
- Expy - Coincidentally, Brother Bear and the Disneynature documentary film Chimpanzee share similarities.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: The death of the cub's mother as well as several other animals throughout.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: While a majority of the violence is offscreen, the film tends to get quite gruesome despite its PG rating.
- Gentle Giant: The Kodiak towards the cub. The hunters however. . .
- Mercy Kill: One of the hunters has to put down their horse.
- Mushroom Samba: When the young cub eats some mushrooms, we are given a trippy sequence.
- The Film of the Book: The film is based on a book from 1916.