|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Don: "It's your home for all things hard rock and heavy metal. It's That Metal Show, and it starts right now."
That Metal Show is an hour-long Talk Show on Vh1 Classic, hosted by radio host/metal guru Eddie Trunk and stand up comedians Don Jameson and Jim Florentine. The three shoot the breeze over the latest news in hard rock and metal music, and interview musical guest stars. The show debuted in 2008 and will start its eleventh season in 2012.
In addition to Eddie, Don, and Jim's discussion and interviews with musicians, the show features a number of set segments:
- TMS Top 5: Eddie, Don and Jim pick their personal top 5 of a particular theme, and a comprehensive Top 5 is made from their choices. The Box of Junk Girl works the chalkboard that this segment uses.
- Stump the Trunk: Eddie tries to answer music trivia questions from the audience. If he misses one, the audience member draws a prize from "Eddie Trunk's Box of Junk", carried by the Box of Junk Girl.
- Whatever Happened To...?: Don reads a question from a viewer asking about a musician that's fallen out of the public eye, and the three discuss said musician's current goings-on.
- The Throwdown: The hosts and guests debate which of two competing options is their favorite; the final decision is made by the audience. This is always the last segment of the show and has a two-minute timer.
- Pick of the Week: A CD, DVD/Blu Ray, or book by a musician are discussed and lauded.
- The Vault: Guests are shown old video clips of themselves, usually to try to make the guests cringe.
- Berserk Button: Mention the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to Eddie, sit back, and watch the fireworks.
- Fan Service with a Smile/Ms. Fanservice: The Box of Junk Girls: Keri Leigh Tucker (seasons 2, 3) and Jennifer Gottlieb (season 4 - present)
- Flipping the Bird: Eddie did this to the R&RHoF in one episode featuring Alice Cooper, lambasting them for not nominating Cooper. The next year, Cooper was inducted.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Eddie can come off as this when he fails a question during Stump The Trunk.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan was shown a clip of himself giving a tour of his house during his early G n' R days, during which he was obviously drunk and/or high. McKagan, whose substance abuse nearly killed him, was visibly disturbed by the clip.
- Reclusive Artist: In season 9, That Metal Show managed to get the first televised interview with Axl Rose in over a decade. The show's entire one-hour runtime was devoted to that single interview.
- Running Gag:
- Don's proclamation of the Fate Worse Than Death that will befall other lists in comparison to the TMS Top 5.
- Jim sneaking a gag question into Stump The Trunk to poke fun at Eddie; these are almost always prefaced with "Eddie, I don't know how this got in here..."
- Don pointing out someone in the audience who looks like a musician just before one of the ad breaks.
- Sore Loser: ZigZagged. Eddie's cool with being legitimately Stumped, but he can't stand anything that comes off as a trick question or something similarly unfair and gets bent out of shape over it.
- Too Soon: A season 8 episode, featuring Warrant lead singer Jani Lane, was promoted, but eventually pulled from being broadcast, due to his death mere weeks earlier.