|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up (2009) is a fighting game for the Wii and Play Station 2 that is based on the long running Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, developed by Game Arts (Super Smash Bros Brawl), with help from ex-Team Ninja employees. Unlike most TMNT games, this one is a general representation of the franchise, with very little explicit nods to any particular continuity beyond the art style (taken from the CGI film) and voice cast (which is that of the 2003 series).
Tropes in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up
- Bat Family Crossover
- Composite Character: In a way, everybody is, having the looks of the 2007 film (sans Shredder, Fugitoid, and the Utrominator), voices from the 2003 show, while having some traits of the 80s characters.
- Expy: While he's officially taken from the 4Kids series, the devs often refer to the Utrominator as the game's "Krang character".
- He could also be an expy of Ch'rell from the 2003 show.
- Follow the Leader: The devs are absolutely shameless about hoping to strike cloning gold (I mean, come on, "Smash-Up"?) The franchise's done this before under Konami with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters, which capitalized on Street Fighter II's sucess.
- Guest Fighter: The Raving Rabbids, which was the source of much outcry by fans. There's also the Junkyard level. While the turtles frequently find themselves in junkyards across their own franchise, this particular one is taken from Rabbids Go Home, complete with the Rabbids' tower. So if you've watched, say, this video, you'd almost mistake it as a Rabbids Go Home fighting game.
- Limited Special Collectors Ultimate Edition: The game comes with a comic detailing the whole story, which adds an explanation for at least one stage in the game, as well as a prologue detailing the Fugitoid talking about his misfortune.
- Mascot Fighter
- The Unexpected: The essentials are in the game, obviously, but tell me, did you honestly expect a Foot Ninja, Utrom in a battle suit, the motherfreaking Nightwatcher, or Fugitoid?