|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The latest incarnation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles media franchise, it airs on Nickelodeon and is considered a proper Nicktoon. The series uses a distinctive artstyle that mixes 2D and 3D animation together, and even goes monochromatic in the style of the comics for flashbacks.
The story goes that Splinter, once Hamato Yoshi, sends his sons to the surface to adventure. While doing so, they encounter the Kraang, a species of brain-like alien who disguise as buisnessmen and kidnap scientists. Donnie is taken aback by the scientist's daughter April O' Neil, and tries to save her. They soon discover upon Snake, the Kraang's driver. Pursuing him to the Kraang base, they rescue April and defeat the newly mutated Snakeweed. Unfortunately, one of them leaves a shruiken behind, alerting Shredder to arrive.
Shredder brings a whole galley of goons to catch the turtles, even as the Kraang get ever more devious...
- Adaptation Distillation: Mostly of the original series, with some elements of Mirage, 2k3, and the original toyline. Nods to various other versions are scattered in.
- Adaptation Expansion: For example, the Punk Frogs are an entire civilization as opposed to just four guys.
- Adaptational Villainy: Many of the older villains are made much more diabolical and psychotic, most notably Rat King and Mutagen Man. The Punk Frogs are Well-Intentioned Extremist savages as opposed to fools trained by Shredder, but they still reform.
- Always Night: It's mentioned the Turtles don't go topside during the day. Subverted in season 3, where the turtles are seen at dawn.
- Atlantis Is Boring: The sea has been portrayed mainly as a murky mess and not fun to go in. Alien oceans are a bit more fun.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The Japanese Dub uses Shinobi by GReeeeN as the opening while the closing song is Ulful's "Booyakasha!". Shinobi is the biggest Ear Worm of any TMNT song yet. The main melody itself is a chiptune version of Cruel Angel's Thesis.
- Art Shift: To black-and-white stills in flashbacks
- Blank White Eyes: The turtles don these in more serious battles.
- Canon Foreigner: Par for the course. Notable examples include TigerClaw and Newtralizer.
- Canon Immigrant: If it had a toy in the original line, it's going to show up here. Special mention goes to Pizzaface, who never appeared in the original show.
- Create Your Own Villain: The Turtles tend to do this quite a bit, especially with Monster of the Week types.
- Dating Catwoman: Leonardo and Karai
- Death By Origin Story: Tang Shen, natch.
- Killed Off for Real: Rahzar, Shredder, Splinter, and the Rat King.
- Lighter and Softer: This show returns to the overall tone of the classic 1987 series (at first), but tends to get a lot more gruesome and has some more focus on heavier plot elements.
- Melee a Trois: The Turtles battle against both the Foot and the Kraang, as well as a few unrelated baddies, all of whom seem to hate one another as well.
- Monster of the Week: Many episodes are like this, though sometimes the monster turns out to be friendly.
- No Transhumanism Allowed: Most humans-turned-mutant are sided with the Foot.
- Our Monsters Are Weird: Everything from a giant glob of pizza that brainwashes people to a ball-shaped spider head that attacks using leg-dreadlocks and constantly cracks puns.
- Rogues Gallery: We have the Foot (Shredder, Bradford, Xever, Baxter Stockman, Steranko, Anton, Mutagen Man, TigerClaw, the Purple Dragons and (formerly) Karai), The Kraang (led by Kraang Prime & Kraang Subprime, and also using a few elite units like Snakeweed, Biotroid, Ms. Campbell, and Tragg), Newtralizer, the Rat King, and a gaggle of assorted monsters prowling the streets of NY by night. When we head into space, we get new enemies in the Triceratons, notably Zog, along with Lord Virngath Dregg and Armaggon. After the death of Shredder, we get Kavaxas, etc.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Guess.
- Younger and Hipper: Most human characters have been aged down compared to other incarnations.