|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Teen Spirit is a Made for TV movie that aired on ABC Family on August 7th, 2011. The protagonist of the story is Amber Pollocks, a cruel, arrogant and self-centered girl who gets shocked by a loose wire during her high school prom, right after being unanimously elected prom queen. Upon her death, a Celestial Bureaucrat informs her that if she wants to enter Heaven, she must make up for the way she treated other people by helping unpopular student Lisa Sommers become popular enough to be elected Prom Queen at the school's make-up prom. At first, her and Lisa clash, but over the course of the series, they start to get along as Amber molds her into a strong candidate for Prom Queen. However, things start to go south when Lisa starts blowing off her old friends in favor of the popular crowd that now worships her. Amber, realizing that she's corrupted Lisa and turned her into a worse version of herself, feels guilty and tries to change Lisa back, even if it means resigning herself to Hell.
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: Lisa comes down with a bad case of this, thanks to Amber.
- Alpha Bitch: Amber. She gets a bit of a rude awakening after dying when she finds out just how many people hated her.
Amber: You have to help me with this. If you don't, they'll send me to Hell and I don't want to go.
Lisa:Why not? You'll meet so many people like you.
- Carlita takes her place after she dies. Lisa also quickly becomes this as she tries to become Prom Queen.
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: No one has anything good to say about Amber at her memorial service.
- Brutal Honesty: The Celestial Bureaucrat on Amber's life.
- Celestial Bureaucracy
- Character Development
- Cool Loser: Lisa. This proves to be a bit of obstacle to Amber at first, as Lisa has accepted this role and has no interest in being popular or becoming Prom Queen.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Amber
- Deadpan Snarker: Lisa's friend Colin.
Popular girl: I'm sorry, I thought the virginity club met at lunch to polish their purity rings.
Colin: Oh golly, that was hilarious. I'm going to process that and laugh at it later.
- Exact Words: Helps keep Amber out of Hell. She failed to make Lisa become Prom Queen, but she got off the hook because Lisa helped Raj become Prom King and he was the least popular male student, so Amber's task was technically accomplished.
- Foot Focus: Lisa removes her heels to walk to a nearby general store to use the phone, momentarily giving us a shot of her bare feet.
- Face Heel Turn: Lisa.
- Heel Face Turn: Amber's one is a big driving point of the movie. Lisa also makes one, once she realizes the error of her Face Heel Turn.
- Jerkass God: Amber was going to be sent to Hell for failing her assignment, even though she tanked her assignment on purpose in order to correct the damage that she'd done to Lisa. In other words, she was putting Lisa's well-being above her own, something that really ought to have counted in her favor, but didn't. God, you jackass!
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Amber develops into this throughout the film.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Lisa near the end. Triggered by her realization that none of her new popular friends could be bothered to come help her, while the friends she ditched were more than happy to.
- Oh, No, Not Again: The celestial bureaucrat at the end.
- Parental Neglect: Amber's mother is emotionally neglectful to both of her daughters. After Amber dies, her mother has a Heel Realization....but starts to neglect her other daughter because she's too distraught over Amber's death. Eventually she realizes her error however.
- Party Scheduling Gambit: Amber gets Lisa to send an e-mail making everyone at school think that Carlita's party is scheduled a day earlier than it actually is, causing people to be disappointed when they show up and there's no party. She then proceeds to invite everyone to her party instead.
- This Cannot Be!: Lisa's initial reaction to seeing Amber's ghost:
Amber: You...you can see me.
Lisa: No...no, no I can't.