|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Tamagotchi is a series of handheld virtual pets by Bandai.
The first toys were sold on November 11, 1996. The company did not expect much and so produced them in small number, but then the toys became a big fad. By the time they were producing enough to meet demand, the popularity had died down and Bandai ended up suffering financially. In 2004, they relaunched the toys with new infrared technology, allowing two Tamagotchi toys to communicate, letting them play games, exchange gifts, and even marry and produce children.
The relaunch has proven to be successful, spawning countless other Tamagotchi-related material. Two anime movies (one got dubbed), two anime series (a series of shorts, and a half-hour anime series, which is currently running; both have been dubbed at one point), music, a line of Nintendo DS games, and even two department stores in Japan. In its home country, Tamagotchi enjoys success to this day. In other parts of the world, however, the franchise has lost its popularity, slinking back down to post-1998 levels.
This game contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: The US release of Tamagotchi Garden (a vintage Tamagotchi product) was cancelled after the fad ended.
- Cash Cow Franchise: In Japan, anyway; the franchise brings in a steady stream of income there.
- Do Well, But Not Perfect: Because the critter your egg grows into is based on how you care for it, getting a specific creature can be a tricky task. The second-best character is reputedly the hardest to get.
- Five-Man Band: Used in the second anime series.
- Guilt Based Gaming: If you don't tend to your Tamagotchi, it will die. You Bastard.
- Killed Off for Real: Your Tamagotchi when it dies.
- Merchandise-Driven: Arguably, the second anime series is built around this trope.
- Mission Pack Sequel: Many releases are basically additions to the previous version's base.
- Nobody Poops: Averted; your Tamagotchi leaves messes for you to clean up. Not cleaning them up will make it sick, and could kill them.
- Raising Sim
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Many of the Tamagotchis.
- Series Mascot: Mametchi.
- Formerly Mimitchi.
- Simulation Game
- Sugar Bowl
- Sweet Dreams Fuel
- Theme Tune Cameo: Tanpopo's ringtone in the movie is the movie's ending theme.
- Video Game Caring Potential
- Video Game Cruelty Potential