|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
People, ordinary or celebrated, compete in a given field for the votes of the viewing public. Singing, dancing and stand-up comedy are the most common fields.
Examples of Talent Show include:
- Opportunity Knocks - 1940's Radio, Sound to Screen Adaptation in The Fifties.
- New Faces - 1970's
- Strictly Come Dancing
- The X Factor
- Stars In Their Eyes
- Britains Got Talent (UK version of America's Got Talent)
- The BBC's Musical Theater Talent Show, the name changes every year as with the musical in question. They all are run by Andrew Lloyd Webber and the first three have conspicuous involvement by John Barrowman.
- 2006 - How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? (Musical: The Sound of Music Role: Maria Von Trapp)
- 2007 - Any Dream Will Do (Musical: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat Role: Joseph)
- 2008 - I'd Do Anything (Musical: Oliver! Roles: 1 Nancy, 3 Olivers)
- 2010 - Over The Rainbow (Musical: The Wizard of Oz Role: Dorothy, Totos)
- ITV's clone of the above Grease: Is The Word (Musical: Grease Roles: Sandy & Danny)
- Star Search
- Ted Macks Amateur Hour
- The Gong Show (which is actually a subversion of the Talent Show)
- American Idol and its imitators
- America's Got Talent
- Grease: You're The One That We Want, which was a US version of the BBC Musical Search format, which was then imported back to the UK by ITV.
- Dancing With the Stars, the American version of Strictly Come Dancing.
- America's Next Top Model, though the subjectivity of the competition barely qualifies it as such.
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- Latin America
- Cuanto Vale El Show (Venezuela), who lived trough The Nineties and can be seen as a precursor of American Idol, since its three regular judges had similar roles to the ones in American Idol.
- Operaci Ã³n Triunfo (Spain and several countries) and La Academia (Mexico), which have more Reality Show ingredients than most of the shows in this list.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.