|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"This game is made by a man who hates videogames."
—Intro text from
Takeshi no Chousenjou (Takeshi's Challenge) was a 1986 troll Video Game on the Famicom, made by Japanese comedian Takeshi Kitano, known as Beat Takeshi. The player controls a despondent Salaryman that must go through a lot of tribulations to find great riches.
The game does anything it can to annoy the user, such as making him sing with the second controller's microphone, press a button for hours, hitting the same enemy thousands of times... all while being attacked by hard to avoid enemies. The player can beat people up, get fired and divorced, drink until he passes out, and learn new skills.
This game includes examples of:
- Press X to Die: Choose the 'punch' option when prompted to enter your name and the game ends before it even starts.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: Getting drunk, unemployed, and divorced are needed to progress.
- Trial and Error Gameplay
- Wait for Over An Hour to Dry a Piece of Paper
- A Winner Is You: The ending screen does not give you a real ending so much as it shows Takeshi Kitano's cartooned face and "The End". If the player waits a few minutes afterwards, he calls you out on taking this "crappy game" seriously enough to actually finish it through.
- Yakuza: A type of enemy in the game. You can beat them up.