|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"I'm not very good at, uh, singing songs, but, uh, here's... here's a try..."
Symphony of Science is a Web Original series of music videos created by John Boswell ("melodysheep"). Most of the videos consist of autotuned quotes from Carl Sagan's Cosmos, along with quotes from other scientists who vary with each video.
To date there are fifteen songs in the series:
- A Glorious Dawn (Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking)
- We Are All Connected (Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Neil De Grasse Tyson and Bill Nye)
- Our Place in the Cosmos (Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Michio Kaku and Robert Jastrow)
- The Unbroken Thread (Carl Sagan, David Attenborough and Jane Goodall)
- The Poetry of Reality (Michael Shermer, Jacob Bronowski, Carl Sagan, Neil De Grasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Jill Tarter, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Feynman, Brian Greene, Stephen Hawking, Carolyn Porco, and PZ Myers)
- The Case for Mars (Carl Sagan, Robert Zubrin, Brian Cox, and Penelope Boston)
- A Wave of Reason (Carl Sagan, Bertrand Russell, Sam Harris, Michael Shermer, Lawrence Krauss, Carolyn Porco, Richard Dawkins, Richard Feynman, Phil Plait, and James Randi)
- The Big Beginning (Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Neil De Grasse Tyson, Tara Shears)
- Ode to The Brain! (Carl Sagan, Robert Winston, Vilayanur Ramachandran, Jill Bolte Taylor, Bill Nye, Oliver Sacks)
- Children of Africa (Jacob Bronowski, Alice Roberts, Carolyn Porco, Jane Goodall, Robert Sapolsky, Neil De Grasse Tyson, and David Attenborough)
- The Quantum World (Morgan Freeman, Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, Brian Cox, Richard Feynman, and Frank Close)
- Onward to the Edge! (Neil De Grasse Tyson, Carolyn Porco, Brian Cox)
- The Greatest Show on Earth! (David Attenborough, Richard Dawkins, and Bill Nye)
- The World of the Dinosaurs (Alice Roberts, Bill Nye, Nigel Marvin, and Dallas Campbell)
- We Are Stardust (Neil De Grasse Tyson, Richard Feynman, and Lawrence Krauss)
Tropes used in this series
- Auto-Tune - A shining example at that.
- Flame War / GIFT - The videos, being uploaded on YouTube, tend to draw the worst kinds of The Fundamentalist Troll who try to turn the videos' comment sections into 'religion vs. atheism' flame wars. They tend to be the Vocal Minority, however.
- Humans Are Special - Particularly in "Children of Africa":
"These beings, with soaring imagination
Eventually flung themselves and their machines
into interplanetary space..."
- And of course, Carl Sagan's "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself".
- Loads and Loads of Characters - The Poetry of Reality, which has more singers than the previous four songs combined. The recent songs tend to have more and more different singers compared to the early ones.
- Measuring the Marigolds - Hugely inverted.
"The beauty of a living thing
is not the atoms that go into it
but the way those atoms are put together.."
- Schedule Slip - The first five songs were released at a rate of about one a month, but this has slowed down considerably with five months between songs six and seven. This is due to the fact that John is now making a point of gaining permission from copyright holders before uploading. It's quickened with the eighth song again.
- The Universe Is Just Awesome - Damn right!
- Voice Clip Song