|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Superstar is about a girl named Mary Katherine Gallagher, who dreams of being kissed, and decides the only way this can happen is to become a star. She daydreams all the time, so she is moved to the special education class at St. Monica High School, the Catholic school she attends.
A Catholic magazine is hosting a talent show -- the Let's Fight Venereal Disease Talent Contest -- at her school, and first prize is a role in a movie with good morals. Mary Katherine sees that her big chance is the talent show, and strives toward that. However, her grandmother will not let her enter the contest. Mary Catherine's competition is head cheerleader Evian, who is dancing with the jock Sky, the object of Mary Katherine's affections.
When Grandma Gallagher finds out that Mary Katherine went behind her back and enrolled in the talent show anyway, she tells Mary Katherine the truth about how her parents died: They were stomped to death in an Irish step dancing competition.
Despite this, Grandma Gallagher decides to help her win the talent show, and Sky's heart. However, another classmate, Slater, is after Mary Katherine's heart.
- Accidental Murder: How Mary Katherine's parents died.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders
- Alpha Bitch: Evian
- Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny: Mary Katherine and Helen
- Big Man on Campus: Skye
- Black Comedy: Mostly the parts which refer to how Mary Katherine's parents died. Also when Slater mentions how his parents died.
- Bucket Booby Trap: at the audition for the talent show
- Catholic School Girls Rule
- The Cheerleader: Evian
- Christianity Is Catholic
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mary Katherine and her friends.
- Dawson Casting
- Deceased Parents Are the Best
- Divine Intervention: Slater turns around when Jesus intervenes.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Slater
- Drugs Are Bad: Played with when Father calls role in class:
Father: Thomas Smith?
Thomas: Here! But I don't know where here is man, 'cause I'm so wasted man!
Father: Thomas, it is a sin to even pretend that you-you-you're baked.
- Extraverted Nerd: Mary Katherine.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Evian, when she's dumped.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Mary Katherine and Slater
- Hippie Jesus - He doesn't look like a hippy per se, but the personality He uses to appear to Mary Katherine is definitely like a hippy.
- Hot God: Played with, as when Mary Katherine sees Jesus, He is a mixture of pictures she has seen of Jesus and important figures in her life, such as Skye.
- Jesus Was Way Cool
- Kissing Warm Up: Mary Katherine makes out with a tree trunk.
- Kuudere: Slater
- My Beloved Smother: Grandma Gallagher is perceived as this.
- Nerd Glasses: Mary Katherine
- Playing Drunk: Thomas
- Pool Scene
- Raised by Grandparents: Mary Katherine
- School Play: A talent show, but similar.
- School Uniforms Are the New Black
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy
- Speech Impediment: Slater
- Suddenly Sexuality: Owen
- Super Drowning Skills: Slater
- Super OCD: Owen