|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Some hardcore fans will insist that subbing is the only way to go. The worst of them will mock dub lovers as illiterate or unrefined and won't seem to accept that people have different opinions.
But every once in a while some game or anime will come along that makes those haters cringe. The dub cast is brilliant. Their voices fit the characters to a tee. Maybe the original language had some astonishingly cringe-worthy moments of Gratuitous English. Even the fact that the dubbers changed some of the jokes, and perhaps even a personality or two doesn't change the fact that it just shines. Sometimes the dub is just good. This unfortunately does not always stop those haters from bashing everything related to the dub.
The most famous example is the Cowboy Bebop English dub, which is equally liked and even considered to be better than the original by series creator Shinichiro Watanabe. Another notable one is the El Hazard English dub, which is even stated by the creators to be the definitive voice cast. Of course, even with these dubs, your opinion may always vary, thus examples are to be signed and state your personal opinion.
- Just because a series is listed here does not necessarily mean the the dub is superior to the original, just that it is very good in its own right.
- Some people talk about "the dub" when they are referring to the English dubs. Please, avoid that.
- Try to include links to examples. They make this list a lot better.
- While we do have a section for "Tropers", please try to list the Dubs under their language with no troper name whatsoever. That makes this section a lot tidier and easier to read.
Generally Well-Dubbed Works
There are many shows/anime/movies that have a superior Dub in many languages.
The reason usually is that the product in question was expected to be a hit, so it makes sense hiring expensive translators and great voice actors for something that will sell a lot. It also helps when the producer company and/or the publisher have its own localization department.
Note: Don't write anything about a particular Dub of a movie/series here. Use the languages below instead.
- Disney Movies
- Pixar Movies
- Death Note
- Cowboy Bebop
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Studio Ghibli Movies
- Ghost in the Shell
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- The Simpsons
- Metal Gear