|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Alas, Poor Villain: Both the Koopa Bros and the Axem Rangers suffer horrible fates at the hands of Mecha Sonic.
- Complete Monster: Mecha Sonic, so freaking much. His victims? Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream and Cheese, Omega, Rouge, the whole of Mobius, the Koopa Bros, the Axem Rangers, and a random Goomba.
"Monster? I'm not a monster, I AM A GOD!""
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Sonic getting his hands on a Fire Flower, and everything that subsequently follows.
- To wit: You know how Mario uses the Fire Flower often in this series? The most he does with this power is throw fireballs or fight particularly ferociously. The crowning moment in this is Sonic showing exactly what someone can do with the Fire Flower's full potential with the use of speed and Chaos Control — demonstrating, in order, a series of incredibly-intense rapid-fire balls of nitro-hurt, decimating enemies Sonic Unleashed style, and creating a time-delayed vortex of flames. All of this in under a minute.
- In Real Life, getting Newgrounds to update the site just so he could put up Episode 8.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The airplane slingshot in Episode 8.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The remixed Super Mario World theme.
- The Doomsday Zone, used as Mecha Sonic's No-Holds-Barred Beatdown music.
- Show No Tears, Captain Basilisx's battle theme.
- Back To Mad, during the intense brawl on Yoshi's Island before Mecha Sonic showed up.
- At least two of those have some sort of meta-CMOA to them as well, The Doomsday Zone remix was originally part of an OC Re Mix project that played on the "old-timey radio" feel of the opening, only to rock the 'eff out. "Back To Mad" was made famous for being used in a flash animation called "Rockman Neo", which depicted a dark third generation for the Mega Man franchise (before Mega Man ZX happened, that is; Neo, incidentally, is what the Mega Man Legends series is known as in Japan).
- This troper would like to nominate the opening song used in Episode 7 and 8.
- Fan Dumb: Dear lord, the fandumb. A lot of the fans ask Alvin when the next episode comes out. They do this so frequently that it may well have served as a serious factor in killing the series entirely.
- After Alvin announced the series' cancellation, while he got a lot of supporting comments, plenty of others have been demanding that Alvin at least finish the series (or the current Metal Sonic Saga) because said "fans" had donated money to him (despite Alvin saying that the money was for help with a real life issue he was dealing with and that it wasn't meant to guarantee a new episode).
- Hate Dumb: Being a sprite series on Newgrounds, this was bound to happen. The Fan Dumb doesn't help.
- Fridge Brilliance: In Episode 7, Luigi jumps out of the water and accidentally hit Kolorado's stopwatch. This activates the negative energy in it. Luigi's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros Brawl? Negative Zone.
- Luigi's fighting style is this as well. He's the only one among the main team that's been relegated to the traditional Player 2 position in the past, rather than Player 1. He's by far the best team player among the group, and his most badass moments are when he comes flying in to back one of the others up.
- Holy Shit Quotient: The ratio approaches one during a few of the fight sequences. For some, it actually exceeds 1.
- Jerkass Woobie: It is heavily implied that the reason for Shadow's current Jerkass nature is due to rage in regards to Mecha Sonic murdering Rouge and Omega, the only two people he could ever openly consider friends.
- Just Here for Godzilla: The fight scenes are undeniably magnificent, so it's no surprise that some viewers don't really care for the plot or jokes.
- Mis Blamed: Contrary to popular belief, Shadow the Hedgehog did not hit Mario during the fight with the Koopa Bros. in Episode 4. He was actually knocked into Mario by Black Ninjakoopa offscreen.
- Moral Event Horizon: Mecha Sonic destroying Mobius along with its inhabitants, including Sonic's friends. And this is only the backstory. He gets worse from there.
- Narm: Let's face it, Cream getting gunned down is either this or heart-wrenching. Let's just say the series has its moments.
- Nightmare Fuel: Admit it, the scenes where Mecha Sonic murders Sonic's friends and him gazing at the destroyed Yoshi's Island made you cringe.
- Episode 8 has a lovely scene where the viewer is treated to a closeup of a dying Rouge. Eeeep.
- Hell, any scene that has to do with the events on Mobius could qualify, since they almost always involve graphic destruction and even more graphic death.
- The end of Episode 8, made such with that damn Cliff Hanger.
- Minus World is historically referred to by the simple, cold moniker of "World 36" and is revealed to be a pocket dimension from which there is no escape. During an ancient war between the Mushroom Kingdom and the Koopas, it was used as a method of execution by both sides, who would throw their prisoners down the warp pipe to starve to death; their corpses, as well as those of anyone unfortunate enough to stumble inside, litter the ground of the zone.
- So Cool Its Awesome
- Straw Man Has a Point: Shadow proposing to collect the rest of the Emeralds and stop Metal Sonic over saving Peach is recieved with disgust. Neverminding the fact that Metal Sonic already ruined a planet and Bowser never harms Peach.
- Tear Jerker: Two scenes — Sonic's flashback in Episode 4, and the argument early on in Episode 8. In the latter, the music really helps.
- Sonic and Shadow's bickering in episode 8 should be considered Narm/NarmCharm if you'd been paying attention to Mario and Luigi's reactions.
- Alvin-Earthworm's announcement that he is ending the series, simply titled, "I'm Sorry..." You can just see the disappointment in his words.
I have drafted this journal several times before but never had the courage to actually post it, but now I think it's high time I did this.
This is a very difficult thing for me. I have had this on my mind for quite some time now and I have no doubt that it will be a very unpopular decision, but I think it's time I finally lay Super Mario Bros Z to rest. I have been fooling myself into thinking I would continue the series because part of me really wanted to see it finished. But the fact is, it is a time consuming process and I have grown tired of working on it. Sprite animation no longer has the same appeal to me as it did several years ago. What was once a fun hobby of mine has now turned into a chore from the constant demand, which clearly shows from the lack of updates since episode 8 was released. I could blame my lack of motivation on my monotonous job and the impatient fans. (Not saying all my fans are impatient, of course. I'm only referring to the Vocal Minority). I have been keeping the series on life-support this long, hoping that some day my creative spark would return to me. Unfortunately it never did.
In any case, I would like to thank everyone who stuck by the series this long. It really pains me to do this to all of you after years of false promises, but it's high time I gave myself a reality check.
- Too Good to Last: As of 3-26-12, Alvin's officially announced on his DeviantArt page that he has discontinued the series.