|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Marvel's Super Hero Squad Online (2011) is a free, kid-friendly Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game somewhat based on The Superhero Squad Show. Like the show, it features chibified versions of the heroes and villains (and anti-heroes) of the Marvel Universe.
Players buy Marvel heroes to add to their "squad" and use them to go on missions to fight villains, play a special collectible card game with other players, or hang out at their helicarrier HQ. An upgraded account, called "Jr. SHIELD Agent" allows players to get more money and allows access to certain heroes that are unavailable to normal accounts. New heroes, accessories, missions, and card booster packs are added frequently, and include almost every character in Marvel's history, from classic staples such as Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Wolverine, to rather obscure ones like The Sentry, Valkyrie, and American Dream. And Deadpool.
As marketing for The Avengers movie, playable versions of the movie heroes are available, as well as the movie version of Loki as a mission boss.
Originally the characters didn't speak, but a recent update gave them all voices. Many of the voice actors from the show returned.
Marvel is also eventually coming out with a "real" characters MMORPG which has been in Development Hell for some time.
- Another Dimension: The Dark Dimension in the Dormammu mission and the Astral Plane in the Onslaught mission.
- Badass Adorable: Pretty much every playable character, and many of the villains.
- Bad Guys Play Pool: Two of Bullseye's cards show him playing pool.
- Boss Battle
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Deadpool, as usual.
- His third special power move in the missions is one where he grabs his health bar and throws his energy-level stars at the enemy. Sound familiar?
- Butt Monkey: As in the show, MODOK.
- Scarlet Spider as well, apparently, as all of his power emotes screw up (i.e. his web shooters malfunction and splat in his face).
- Collectible Card Game: Now available in physical form, too.
- Crack Pairing: One game card features the crack pairing of Bullseye/Emma Frost, and even lampshades it. Another, even more bizarre one, has Abomination/Spider-Girl.
- Dual Boss: One mission has you fight Ymir the Frost Giant and Surtur the Fire Demon at the same time. The good news is, they're also fighting each other.
- Expressive Mask: Up to Eleven where even Iron Man's helmet and Mysterio's dome can make expressions.
- Fundamentally Funny Fruit: For some reason, pineapples frequently appear in the hero's power emotes. One of Gambit's power moves in the missions has him charging a pineapples and throwing it as an explosive.
- Gasshole: Every playable character, since the "Rude" emote will make them either burp or fart on command.
- Abomination is pretty much labeled as this.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: During the Juggernaut boss battle...
Juggernaut: "I'm the Juggernaut, bi- uh... buddy!"
- Legion of Doom: The Sinister Syndicate (Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Mysterio, and Lizard) and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Magneto, Mystique, Sabretooth, and Juggernaut).
- Lighter and Softer: Than the comics, but that is the whole point of the Super Hero Squad franchise anyway. They even have Blade, Ghost Rider, and Punisher as playable heroes.
- This is lampshaded by Deadpool when on a mission with Ghost Rider:
Deadpool: Hey, I thought we weren't supposed to have flaming skull-heads in this game! Man, we are getting in so much trouble with the ratings board!
- Mythology Gag: Oh so very VERY many.
- Not So Harmless: For being just a Butt Monkey floating head, MODOK sure is a tough boss to beat.
- Power Creep, Power Seep: It is possible in the game to defeat Dormammu in his own dimension; a feat that virtually no Marvel character would be able to accomplish.
- Also Phoenix and Sentry are playable characters and while they are top-tier characters in the game, they don't completely annihilate mortal bosses (such as Doc Ock) like they really would.
- Rogues Gallery: Villains from pretty much every major hero's rogues gallery appear, including several that never appeared in the show.
- Token Evil Teammate: Iron Patriot, Red Hulk, Red She-Hulk, and Dark Surfer are playable characters, so having any one of them on your team would count.
- Villains Out Shopping: Literally with Annihilus, of all people.
- Dr. Octopus' bio list this as one of the primary benefits of his mechanical arms.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Mystique and the Skrulls often utilize this power in their missions.
- Whack A Moloid: There's an arcade game based on this with Deadpool and She-Hulk whacking moloids with a giant hammer. This is used in the Mole Man mission as well.