Sunwoo Entertainment is South Korean animation studio. They were born in 1979 (though they existed as a company as early as 1974), first working on South Korean productions, then for Disney nearly a decade later and have since become one of the busier overseas animation studios.
Back in The Nineties, Sunwoo had a few companies spun-off from it: Anivision, Grimsaem, and Sunwoo Digital. In 2000, however, the spin-offs were all sucked back into the main studio. They also have a toy company (Named Mocom Toys; making them the only animation studio that owns a toy company) responsible for releasing Hasbro's Transformers toys (as well as stuff for Thomas the Tank Engine, Hamtaro, Disney and others).
Compare Toon City (another studio that got its start with Disney), TMS Entertainment, Wang Film Productions, Rough Draft Studios, the Walt Disney Animation Units, and Kennedy Cartoons, other studios that Sunwoo and its spin-offs have worked alongside.
Shows worked on by Sunwoo, Anivision, Grimsaem, and Sunwoo Digital (Studio section in brackets)
- Aladdin (TV Series, Sunwoo; 16+ episodes)
- The Angry Beavers (Sunwoo)
- Bonkers (Sunwoo; 20 episodes)
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (Sunwoo)
- Care Bears (Anivision)
- Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (Sunwoo, the company's very first notable work)
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (Sunwoo)
- Cro (Sunwoo, Anivision)
- Darkwing Duck (Sunwoo; 40 episodes, camera services for two Walt Disney Animation France episodes)
- Duckman (Sunwoo/Anivision; 70 episodes total)
- Family Guy (Grimsaem in seasons 1-3; season 4 onward is Sunwoo Digital/Sunwoo)
- Gargoyles (Sunwoo)
- Goof Troop (Sunwoo; 17 episodes)
- Hey Arnold (pilot only, Anivision)
- Invader Zim (Sunwoo)
- King of the Hill (Anivision; 3 episodes)
- Kung Fu Dino Posse (Sunwoo)
- Metajets (Sunwoo)
- Mix Master (Sunwoo)
- Pepper Ann (Sunwoo)
- Recess (Sunwoo/Grimsaem) (Season one only, with some work on Recess: School's Out)
- Rocko's Modern Life (First 3 Seasons except domestically-animated pilot, Sunwoo)
- Rugrats (Season 2 onwards, Anivision/Grimsaem (Movies)/Sunwoo; S1 done by Wang)
- The Simpsons (Seasons 3-10, Anivision; 56 episodes)
- Son of the Mask (Sunwoo, Animated sequences)
- Space Goofs (Sunwoo/Anivision)
- Transformers (Toyline distribution in South Korea since the 2007 film; Through Mocom Toy)
- Van Helsing: The London Assignment (Sunwoo; with Production I.G)
- The New Woody Woodpecker Show (Sunwoo)
- Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox (Sunwoo)
- And a lot more. They've actually been quite busy.
Tropes found in the works of Sunwoo and its spin offs
- All CGI Cartoon: has made and/or distributed several of these.
- Animation Bump: Grimsaem's feature film work, as well as their work on Recess. All of Sunwoo's Recess episodes have better animation than the later episodes by Plus One Animation and Toon City
- Animesque: Mix Master and Yobi
- Conspicuous CG
- Medium Blending: With themselves on Family Guy and Metajets (and some other projects), Rhythm and Hues on Rugrats in Paris and GONZO on Transformers Cybertron.
- No Export for You/Bad Export for You: Pretty much how they've treated the South Korean Transformers toy line releases. Animated's especially.
- Off-Model: A common complaint with the company's Disney projects. Well, that and how their animation looks bland and uninteresting compared to some of the higher quality studios like Walt Disney Japan and Australia.