|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
SUGURI is a horizontal Shoot'Em Up developed by doujin developer Orange_Juice for Windows PC. It stars the title character, Suguri, a girl armed to the teeth with a variety of powerful weapons working to protect her home world from similarly adorable girls who are under orders to wipe out all life on the planet and take it as their own. The game features an auto-targeting system which allows the player to fire in directions other than the usual 'straight ahead', a dashing system which can be used to charge up a gauge to unleash a powerful attack, a variety of unlockable weapons, and multiple different modes of gameplay.
A sequel, Acceleration of SUGURI, and its expansion pack, Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition, were later released in Japan for PC and later for the Play Station 3 in English by Rockin' Android. Unlike its predecessor, Acceleration of SUGURI is a one-on-one hybrid of a Bullet Hell shooter and a Fighting Game, with both single-player modes with local and online multi-player modes (the Play Station 3 version of the game by Rockin' Android loses its online play unfortunately). It features the same cast as the original game, and presents the player with short Where Are They Now cutscenes for completing the Arcade Mode for certain characters of the game with a single credit. The X-Edition expansion pack adds two additional story modes and multiple new characters. The entire series has been localized in the United States by publisher Rockin' Android for PC.
A prequel to SUGURI titled Sora, was later released by the same circle in 2010 for PC during Comiket 78, followed by a sequel to Acceration of SUGURI with Acceleration of SUGURI 2 during Comiket 80 in 2011, featuring both the cast of SUGURI and sora as playable characters.
These games provide examples of:
- After the End: The story setting of SUGURI. The planet is just starting to recover after the events from Sora.
- All Just a Dream: The "Pudding Deity" storyline in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- An Ice Person: Kyoko.
- Art Shift: The English Play Station 3 version by Rockin' Android.
- Attack Drone: Laser "bits" are Nanako's primary weapon. Suguri can also use them.
- Axe Crazy: Pretty much everyone except Suguri.
- Bare Your Midriff: Kae.
- Beam Spam: Iru's specialty, though not the least bit limited to her.
- Boobs of Steel: Kae.
- Bullet Hell: Both games, to a degree.
- Chain Pain: Hime uses chains in a couple of her attacks.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After defeating Hime, she befriends Suguri in the original game as they make their descent into Earth after stopping Shifu from destroying the planet.
- Fan Translation: In the case of SUGURI and Acceleration of SUGURI plus the X-Edition expansion pack. Sara Jessica Leen originally worked on English patches for these games prior to her employment with Rockin' Android and making the localizations official.
- Fiery Redhead: Kae, quite literally.
- Hair Decorations: Hime.
- Genki Girl: Saki and Kae.
- Humongous Mecha: Robo.
- Idiot Hair: Saki.
- Improbably-Female Cast: With Shifu and NoName being the series' standouts.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: In Acceleration of SUGURI, Saki uses a grenade... as a melee weapon. It has a 25% chance of exploding.
- Jack of All Stats: Suguri.
- Laser Blade: One of Suguri's signature weapons. Sora also makes use of one.
- Lethal Joke Character: QP, an adorable little puppy girl. She's the most powerful character in Acceleration of SUGURI.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Available to Suguri via the Launcher.
- Megane: Shifu and MoName.
- Meganekko: Kyoko.
- No Continue Run: Required to unlock most of the secret characters in Acceleration of SUGURI, as well as the extra stories.
- Odd Job God: QP is the goddess of pudding.
- Off with His Head: Happens (off-screen) to NoName in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition's "Falling Wonder" storyline.
- Older Than They Look: Suguri is
at least 20 years oldover 10,000-years-old by the start of the series.
- Personality Powers: Kyoko is a calm, collected ice user, and Kae is a Hot-Blooded fire user.
- Petting Zoo People: QP.
- Physical God: Hime and QP.
- Playing with Fire: Kae, again.
- Rank Inflation: Acceleration of SUGURI's fight ranks go E, D, C, B, A, S, and P.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kae and Kyoko, respectively.
- Regional Bonus: The "SUGURI - Perfect Edition" package, an English-localized bundle of the SUGURI series from Rockin' Android, also includes the TRANCENATION of SUGURI and Hoshi no Kakera ~acceleration of SUGURI sound track~ OSTs into one disc.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: NoName.
- Shoot'Em Up: The original SUGURI game.
- Sora Debuted In Acceleration of SUGURI: sora, the prequel to SUGURI, was still in development when Acceleration of SUGURI was released. A teaser of the game can unlocked by fighting Sora and unlocking her Extra story.
- Team Mom: Kyoko.
- Token Mini-Moe: Nanako.
- True Final Boss: Sora in the original Acceleration of SUGURI and Robo in Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition's "Falling Wonder" storyline.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Suguri.
- X Meets Y: SUGURI is essentially Gradius meets Touhou. Its spin-off sequel is essentially Senko no Ronde meets SUGURI.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Suguri and Hime are both ranking in at Grade-A.