|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Rockin' Roger: You just released a single. What is it?
Jen: It's called "Suck".
Rockin' Roger: I've heard it. It does!
Suck is a Canadian horror comedy about a garage rock band, The Winners, consisting of the singer Joey Winner, guitarist Tyler, bassist Jennifer and drummer Sam. On the night before their tour, Jennifer is seduced and turned into a vampire by Queenie, the arch-enemy of vampire hunter Eddie Van Helsig. When she reappears before the first show, everything seems to be fine and her performance helps the band gain popularity, but then things get worse.
- Asshole Victim: Rockin' Roger and Beef.
- Actor Allusion: During the flashbacks of Eddie van Helsing, Malcolm McDowell is easily harking back to his Alex DeLarge days, haircut wise.
- Butt Monkey: Hugo.
- Cool Car: The band rides in a hearse. Ain't that Foreshadowing.
- Cynical Mentor: Victor.
- Dumbass DJ: Rockin' Roger. Proves to be Too Dumb to Live with the quote above.
- Evil Is Sexy: Vampire Jen. Averted with Queenie and his absolutely ridiculous jewfro.
- Eyepatch of Power: Eddie van Helsig wears one under sunglassess.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: A good handful of them.
- Horror Hunger: Played for Laughs. No, really.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Queenie. On a guitar.
- Mushroom Samba: The aptly titled "This Is Your Brain On Drugs" musical number after Joey mistakes extasy for aspirin.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Joey accidentally killing Victor. These Hands Have Killed included.
- The Renfield: Mostly subverted by Hugo the roadie. He does agree to cover up the bodies in return for immortality, and at one point eats a fly. But he didn't think that eating the fly would grant him life and he rants about being used by the band. Plus, he already did all their grunt-work when everybody was human.
- Scream Discretion Shot: When Jen goes down on Beef, the scene is cut to Tyler taking a bite out of a hotdog in the next room. The rest of the band, at Hugo's suggestion, mistake Beef's screams for a TV being too loud.
- Shout-Out: Again a couple.
- Queeny's eyes appearing in the sky during the stop-motion transitions are a reference to Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.
- The shot of the band crossing the street is a reference to the cover of The Beatles' Abbey Road.
- There's a great visual reference to the cover of Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA album.
- So Bad It's Good: Intentionally bad opening of Queenie in bat form, flying over an obvious model of the city. Intentionally jarring stop-motion transitions. Very obvious mood lighting is used throughout the film. Can be considered Stylistic Suck.
- Stock Footage: From O Lucky Man; see Troubled Backstory Flashback.
- The Cameo: Alex Lifeson from Rush plays the border guard.
- Toronto Doubling: The movie was shot in Toronto only, but the action moves from Toronto, through Buffalo, to New York. You can see that two of the clubs the band plays in (in two different cities, no less) are exactly the same building.
- Troubled Backstory Flashback: Eddie's Lost Love Montage.
- Voice of the Legion: Side-effect of using the vampiric Compelling Voice.