|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Expect trope references and a LOT of Sherlock.
Stuff You Like provides and discusses examples of:
- Action Girl: Mentioned by name quite a lot: Ariane, the adrenaline junkie pilot/racer from Grand Central Arena, as well as Katara, Toph, Suki, Azula, Mai, Ty Lee... and Jame.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Jim is a Stalker with a Crush.
- Asteroid Thicket: Namechecked in GCA which has a section that consists of a long string of tropes and accompanying pictures.
- Bad Boss: Ursa herself, judging by the "Staff Training Video" at the start of the Underworld review...
- Plus, just why DID she have a camera above Cheapus' bed?
- The Bechdel Test: Mentioned in passing in the Underworld review:
Subtitles: Did they just pass The Bechdel Test?
- Big Yes/Glasses Pull: "This week: (glasses) it's Sherlock Whump Week." "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Black Cloak: For the "Staff Training Video":
Sursum Ursa: Greetings, minions. *thunder* Welcome to hell. (Evil Laughter)
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In the Roman Holiday review:
Sursum Ursa: ...comfy shoes, gelato, dancing with boys, a mischievous pixie haircut, and casual violence!
- Buffy-Speak: On the subject of Jim's mood swings:
Sursum Ursa: He has mood swings like a...very...swingy...thing!
- Cute Shotaro Boy: Calls Aang this, naturally.
- Deadpan Snarker: The Subtitles, and also Sokka.
- For the Evulz: Jim again.
Sursum Ursa: Jim is just indiscriminately evil...for the lulz.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A whole section dedicated to it in the A:TLA Book 3 review.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck: Both River Tam and Jim are described as, "Completely batfrakked!" More generally, the (usually) PG-rating means this is quite common.
- Halloween Episode: "5 Ridiculously Entertaining Things About Underworld."
- Ho Yay: Zuko wants Aang to dance with him. And Sherlock's A Study In Pink review had a dedicated montage on the subject.
- Hollywood Hacking: Averted in Sherlock Series 2, and mentioned in the Reichenbach Fall episode:
Sursum Ursa: Steve Thompson...your lack of Hollywood Hacking is a joy forever.
- Hollywood Homely: Discussed In-Universe in the Mycroft and Lestrade episode. TV!Lestrade is much better looking than his literary counterpart
Sursum Ursa: Because we cannot ever, ever have ugly people on our screens.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Also in Mycroft and Lestrade, Ursa explains how the trope is avoided, and references Special K adverts to give an example of the trope.
Sursum Ursa: You're NOT FAT!
- Musical Episode: For the Les Miserables review.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Referenced by name in the video about Kaylee from Firefly, and the dress she wore in "Shindig".
- Punny Name: Sursum Ursa's real surname is Bearup.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Azula, Mai and Ty Lee from, what else, Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Rebellious Princess: Anne from Roman Holiday.
- Right-Hand-Cat: Barclay.
- Rule 63: In her crossover with Sofie Liv to review the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie.
- Sarcasm Mode: Most of the time.
- Scenery Porn: Referenced in Roman Holiday.
- Shout-Out: To NCIS fandom when she describes Molly Hooper as an 'Autopsy Gremlin'. To the Sherlock fandom...all the time.
- Sorry I Left the BGM On: In the Jim vs. Moriarty episode.
- The Cast Showoff: Ursa in the Musical Episode.
- The Firefly Effect: In-Universe discussion in SYL 20: this video.
- Unobtanium: Required to get the crew home in Grand Central Arena
- Unusual Euphemism: In the Zoe Washburne episode:
Sursum Ursa: But when the fecal matter hits the rotary air impeller...
- Video Review Show
- World of Cardboard Speech: Marc C Dusquene. No, not that one.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ariane again.
Sursum Ursa: She also has blue hair because... You Gotta Have Blue Hair...