|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Student Bodies is a syndicated television comedy program Broadcasted on Global and YTV in Montreal, Quebec, Canada for 30 Minutes from October 4, 1997 to February 19, 2000 that mixed animation with live action.
The show was originally made for the American market and aired briefly in syndication (mainly to get Edutainment Show E/I credit), and also aired in Canada on Syndication. It featured an ensemble cast of high school students at Thomas A. Edison High School who run a school newspaper. The official school newspaper, in the words of the protagonist Cody Anthony Miller, sucks. The new girl, Emily Roberts, suggests that she and Cody start up their own, featuring Cody's irreverent cartoons. Other members of the cast include Cody's best friends, Chris Sheppard and Margaret "Mags" Abernathy, Romeo Carter, Grace Vasquez, and the two members of the rival newspaper group, editor Victor Kane and photographer Francesca "Flash" Albright. There's also the Vice Principal, Mrs. Morton.
- Actor Allusion: In the season two episode "Snowed In", Flash claims that she found Gary from Are You Afraid of the Dark? to be cute. Gary and Chris Sheppard are both played by Ross Hull.
- Adorkable: Chris
- All Love Is Unrequited: Chris had a big crush on Morgan in the first season, and she would sometimes use this to her advantage.
- Alpha Bitch: Morgan
- Attractive Bent Gender: Chris dresses up as a girl to avoid the school bully and the bully develops a crush on him.
- The Bro Code: Permission which is about Romeo needing permission from Cody to date Emily
- Butt Monkey: Chris
- Camera Fiend: Flash
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Morgan vanished from the show after the first season.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Grace
- Dating Catwoman: Chris/Flash
- Dawson Casting
- Dean Bitterman
- Establishing Shot: Animated.
- Follow the Leader: The show was accused of imitating Saved by the Bell by critics
- Kidanova: Romeo
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: In "The Road Trip," Chris admits that he's never "been to Wonderland" (unlike Cody, Romeo and Victor).
- My God, What Have I Done?: Victor, when he realizes he made a joke about Flash's alcoholic mother while he himself was wasted.
- New Transfer Student: Emily in the first season.
- Parental Bonus: Try rewatching the show and see how many jokes you missed as a kid.
- Retail Therapy: Victor's method of coping with grief is to keep a stiff upper lip and buy something expensive.
- The Rival: Victor to Cody.
- Rivals Team Up: Victor and Flash join the Student Bodies staff after the vice principal Mrs. Morton cancels their own paper The Student Voice. They even become friends with them.
- Shout-Out: The school's rich, megalomaniacal newspaper boss is named "Victor Kane."
- Very Special Episode: A few episodes tackled standard "teen issues", such as Season 2's "Gay Friend". Other episodes also included "Victor Gets Drunk" and "Chris' Death."
- Zany Scheme: Chris is known for pulling some of these.