|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Strong Motion is Jonathan Franzen's second novel. Written in 1992 and set in Boston, it follows a large cast of characters and multiple storylines dealing with a bout of earthquakes, a family struggle over a large inheritance, corporate corruption, religious fervour and abortion.
The novel provides examples of the following tropes:
- Activist Fundamentalist Antics
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Hollands.
- Coming of Age Story: For Louis.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Sweeting-Aldren management.
- Dysfunction Junction: Every character.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Louis and Renee
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Averted.
- May-December Romance: Sort of. Renee being 7 years older than Louis is very evident in their differing levels of maturity, especially at the start of the book.
- The Slacker: Louis Holland is a sympathetic variant.