|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Emma has never surfed before, but she's stoked to learn this summer. She's sweet, honest, optimistic and a bit naive. Although she's super social and best friends with lots of dudes, she totally loses it around guys she's crushing on.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kelly's Veronica for Ty.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Emma was able to wrestle Fin to the ground and pin her after a short struggle in "Chum Music".
- Dogged Nice Girl - To Ty.
- Expy - Of Jen from 6teen.
- Heroes Want Redheads - Johnny, Ripper, and possibly Ty do.
- Hey, It's That Voice! - It's Bridgette!
- The Klutz
- Naive Everygirl
- Naive Newcomer
- Oblivious to Love - Is oblivious to Johnny's feelings.
- Puppy Dog Eyes: And it's pretty effective.
- Red Headed Heroine
- Shipper on Deck - Shipped Reef/Fin in the 1st season but shipped Reef/Lo in "Channel Surfers"
- Tomboyish Ponytail
Fin is a total adrenaline junkie and not afraid of anything. She's a girl but tough, with a quick wit and tons of confidence, basically the ultimate "guy's girl." Fin might be best surfer out of all groms, although Reef would be quick to argue that point.
- Actor Allusion: At one point she burps forcefully enough to blow Reef's and Broseph's hair back and knock Johnny over. Izzy has also been seen releasing burps of such magnitude.
- Almost Kiss - With Reef.
- Blue Eyes - Vaguely purplish-blue eyes.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes - In "The Captain, The Grom, His Hope, Her Dream"
- Clingy Jealous Girl - She tried to break up Reef and Lo's relationship because Lo treated Reef like a servent, well at least that's what she says. Plus in the past she has repeatedly tried to (and succeeded in) wrecking Reef's love life
- Darkskinned Blonde (or in this case, "blonde with a kind of orange-ish spray tan".)
- Deadpan Snarker
- Expy - Of Nikki from 6teen.
- Gasshole: A belch variant. She doesn't do it too often, but she has probably burped more than anyone else on the show.
- Hair of Gold
- Hey, It's That Voice! - It's Izzy!
- One of the Boys: So much so that even the guys couldn't handle her.
- Only Sane Woman: Given that she is a big-sisterly figure toward Emma and is Closer to Earth than Lo.
- Slap Slap Kiss - With Reef.
- Tomboy To Emma and Lo's Girly Girls
- Tsundere - a Type A towards Reef
Reef is good-looking and athletic, but he's also a little goofy and tends to overreact in every situation. He's loves to talk trash to Fin and has a competitive streak a mile wide, so it's a good thing he has the surf skills to back it up.
- Almost Kiss - With Fin.
- Attractive Bent Gender - in "Mr. Wahine."
- Book Dumb - His mind is dedicated to surfing, and only surfing.
- Embarrassing First Name - Leslie
- Even Jerks Love Their Mamas
- Expy- Of Jonesy from 6teen, They even share a voice actor.
- Green Eyed Red Head
- Groin Attack - He just wouldn't be a male Fresh TV protagonist without some of these painful moments.
- Handsome Lech
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Megane: Briefly enters a 'smart' stage when the ocean was flat.
- Slap Slap Kiss - With Fin.
- Straw Misogynist
Lauren "Lo" Ridgemount
Lo is the only daughter of the insanely wealthy Ridgemount family, owners of the Ridgemount Hotel chain and the flagship Surfer's Paradise Ridgemount Resort, and she has always been able to sweet talk her parents into anything by smiling and promising to love her daddy forever. And her mom want so badly to be "the cool mom" that she lets Lo get away with murder.
When her dad decides it's time for her to earn her keep, Lo starts working at the resort. But since she's never done chores in her life, she's terrible at her job and never lasts long in any department.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter
- Clingy Jealous Girl - Saw Emma as a threat to her relationship with Reef in "Dirty Little Secret, Nerdy Little Secrets"
- "He looked at another girl?, where? I'll mash her face like a potato!"
- Expy - Of Caitlin from 6teen.
- And for some, of Courtney from Total Drama Action in the second season.
- Failure Is the Only Option - Any of Lo's schemes to get in good with her dad.
- Fallen Princess
- Flower in Her Hair
- Girly Girl
- Lovable Alpha Bitch - she can be out-and-out sweet at times, despite being an Alpha Bitch.
- Matchmaker Crush - People say she always had a crush on Reef despite shipping him with Fin
- Shipper on Deck - Shipped Reef/Fin
- Ships her brother with Emma
- Spoiled Brat - When she's not being a Spoiled Sweet.
- Spoiled Sweet - When she's not being a Spoiled Brat.
- Tsundere - A Type B towards Reef
A natural born surfer, Broseph is a totally mellow guy with a chilled perspectice on the world. Even though he's late for everything, and often causes mix-ups the others have to fix, and is the reigning king of moochers, everybody still loves Broseph.
- Book Dumb - Not as bad as Broseph though.
- Darkskinned Blonde
- Expy - Of Jude from 6teen.
- Extreme Omnivore: Let's say he follows a 5-day rule.
- He is also seen drinking ketchup and enjoying himself. He talks Emma into trying it too, but she didn't like it very much.
- Funny Afro
- Hair of Gold
- Hairy Hammerspace - Complete with Rummage Fail!
- Surfer Dude - Many of the guys in the show are of course, but Broseph is an exceptional example.
Johnny is stylish, witty and cool, and he knows the hotel inside and out, which is invaluable when it comes to a getting the others out of a jam. All he asks in return is that they occasionally give him some surfing lessons, because that's the one area where he really stinks.
- Better as Friends
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Black and Nerdy
- Black Best Friend
- Butt Monkey - When it comes to his crush on Emma
- Dogged Nice Guy - To Emma.
- Expy - Of Wyatt from 6teen.
- Nice Guy
- Number Two - To Bummer
- Only Sane Man
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Aloof Big Brother
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: So much that with proper lighting, it blinded Johnny.
- Oblivious to Love - Is oblivious to Emma's feelings.
- What Does He See in Her - When Ty starts dating Kelly.
- Big Bad Ensemble: He and Kelly are the main antagonists of the series.
- Control Freak
- Darkskinned Blonde
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Hey, It's That Voice! - Its Jimmy Two-Shoes!
- Jerkass -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Leaning more toward Jerkass in Season Two.
- Mean Boss
- Gasshole: Meaningful Name, don't you think?
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Lance.
- Third Option Love Interest - Is briefly one for Emma.
- Those Two Guys - With No-Pants Lance.
- Toilet Humor - His Meaningful Name.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The Big Kahuna
Wipeout the Mascot
- Bigger Bad: He's the owner of the hotel and Bummer's boss, but he only appears once in a while.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Acts like one.
- The Faceless
- Green Eyes: As it turns out, yeah.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: It's Coach Halder (and Ron the Rent-A-Cop)
- Papa Wolf
- Parental Marriage Veto: Doesn't approve of his daughter being in a relationship with Reef
- Self-Made Man - And he really wants his kids to take after his example.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents - Is one to Lo.
- Emilie Claire Barlow
- Hot Mom
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy - Her slang can be... irksome.
- Alpha Bitch
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Emma's Betty for Ty.
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Bummer. She's a personal antagonist for the gang, whereas Bummer (being the manager of the hotel) is a somewhat bigger threat.
- Bob Haircut
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Evil Redhead
- Expy: Of Tricia from Sixteen.
- Gold Digger: She plans to marry Ty and inherit the Ridgemount fortune.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Didn't expect Sadie of all people to be so mean.
- Kick the Dog
- Romantic False Lead: Starts dating Ty because he's rich.