De-d-d-describe.. S-S-Stephanie Sheh... h-h-here...
Easy there, girl. Nothing to be shy about.
Small in stature, but big on talent, Stephanie Sheh is a voice actress famous for portraying either painfully shy girls, Action Girls, or even Genki Girls, or even sarcastic grumps. She has won an award for "Best Voice Actress in an Anime Comedy" by the American Anime Awards for her work in Girls Bravo and Hare To Guu. Her characters also tend to be, can you say, well-developed? And strikingly, Sheh is only three apples high.
She is often in anime involving Kari Wahlgren and Johnny Yong Bosch. She also has a tendency to sound just like the voice actor she is dubbing over. As she occasionally works in Dallas, she has been in more and more titles with Michael Sinterniklaas, who was formerly an NY-exclusive actor. Being Asian herself, she has the advantage of knowing how to speak Japanese and can even sing songs in Japanese as well.
She goes by many aliases as well (Jennifer Sekiguchi, Tiffany Hsieh, Lulu Chiang, and Laura Chyu). Quite possibly, she has a Spear Counterpart in Japan, in form of Hiro Shimono (seiyuu for super meek guys).
In response to the 2011 Touhoku earthquake and tsunami, she organized a fundraiser called We Heart Japan with her friend Pinguino Kolb, getting a huge number of voice actors to help out in the process, among many others.
Stephanie's animated voice roles:
- Hinata Hyuuga, Kin Tsuchi, Rin and Sexy-Jutsu Naruto ("Naruko") in Naruto.
- Orihime Inoue, Isane Kotetsu, Yoshi and Suzumebachi in Bleach.
- Mikuru Asahina in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
- BOTH voices of Guu in Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.
- BOTH voices of Akira Kogami in Lucky Star.
- Eureka in Eureka Seven.
- Kaguya Sumeragi and Anya Alstreim (both normal and Hijacked By Marianne) in Code Geass.
- Kinon Bachika in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
- Illyasviel von Einzbern in Fate/stay night.
- Tomoka Osakada, Nanako Meino, and An Tachibana in The Prince of Tennis.
- Megumi Shirakawa in Digimon Data Squad.
- Mamimi in FLCL.
- Aya Natsume in Tenjho Tenge.
- Wendy Garrett in Gun X Sword.
- Himeko Kurusegawa from Kannazuki no Miko.
- Haydee in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Sue in Three Delivery.
- Gertrud Barkhorn in Strike Witches.
- Bella Demarco in IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix.
- Sylphiel in Slayers Revolution.
- Audrey Burne in Gundam Unicorn.
- Micchon in Eden of the East.
- Kirie Kojima in Girls Bravo.
- Sayori Wakaba in Vampire Knight.
- Kasuga in Sengoku Basara.
- Yui Hirasawa in K-On.
- Rio Kamichika in Durarara (She also replaces Caitlin Glass as Miria Harvent in episode 11).
- Ao in Freedom Project.
- Kriem in Tiger and Bunny.
Stephanie's video game voice roles:
- Kyrie in Devil May Cry 4.
- Hanako in Disgaea 2 Cursed Memories.
- Princess Sapphire Rhodonite in Disgaea 3 Absence of Justice.
- Princess Anastasia Romanov in Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
- Princess Serenade in Eternal Sonata.
- Eric Lecarde in Castlevania Judgment (she also served as the voice director).
- Princess Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear in Tales of the Abyss.
- Da Ji in the two Warriors Orochi games.
- Princess Mercedes in Odin Sphere (anybody else noticing a pattern?).
- Celestine in Magna Carta 2.
- Rebbecca Chambers in Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.
- Nicole Mimi Tithel in Mana Khemia.
- Tomoe Tachibana in Trauma Team.
- Metis in Persona 3 FES.
- Lisa 'Ginko' Silvermann in Persona 2
- Silmeria in Valkyrie Profile Silmeria.
- Lilith in Cross Edge.
- Cereza in Bayonetta.
- Histoire in Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Tropes relating to Stephanie Sheh
- Bilingual Bonus: she's also capable of speaking Mandarin and Taiwanese, and has some understanding of the Japanese language.
- Chinese-American Girl
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: something she kinda stressed twice (once during Eric P. Sherman's statements and another when Bandai Entertainment collapsed). She took the heat, but made good points.
- Older Than They Look: despite her short stature, she's in her mid 30s.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: normally The Quiet One or painfully shy girls. However, since she's known to play other kinds of characters, let's just say Moe is her forte.
- Invoked and mentioned in the Gundam Unicorn interview with Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh where she mentioned she's often plays "super-shy high school girls or completely bipolar types"
- Playing Against Type: Akira Kogami from Lucky Star (Genki Girl persona onscreen and Deadpan Snarker Jerkass offscreen).
- Relationship Voice Actor: often casted alongside with Kari Wahlgren, Michael Sinterniklaas, and Johnny Yong Bosch. The last one more common, and the second often involving with FUNimation.
- Shrinking Violet/Fragile Flower: what most of her characters are well known for, particularly Mikuru and Hinata.