|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Stay Sonic was a book published in 1992, based on an internal document known as the "Sonic Bible". This book served as the basis for all UK Sonic the Hedgehog fiction, and much of the US fiction as well (although over time they became less and less bound to this).
Tropes used in this book:
- All There in the Manual: In two ways, not only with backstory and profiles, but also with a literal guide section to the games.
- Animal Talk: In an early version of the document, Sonic learned human language through the Lingua Scrambler.
- Bowdlerization: The original document was grimmer:
- Sonic's father dies by falling into toxic waste.
- Sonic is mentioned as being extremely poor.
- He is almost non-morphic in this story, rather than simply brown.
- Hibernation is important to the plot.
- Canon Foreigner: Sorta. Ovi Kintobor and his backstory were created for the Western localization, while the text also mentions a number of minor characters such as Sophocles, a sharp-eyed owl who discovered Sonic, a number of supervillains in nearby star systems (Proffessor Krank, Rudi Bonkerz, and General Krutch), and news reporter Aseg Eporue. There's also Tiki the Penguin, though this may simply be a misspelling of Tux (the localized name for the penguins freed from Badniks).
- Create Your Own Villain
- Earth Drift: Inverted.
- Though played straight concerning the earliest draft, which explicitly was set in the United States, in the city of Hardly, Nebraska. Also played straight in the long run as many works ignored the presence of Earth. (Though Archie had an Earth All Along, which SatAM was planned to also do, while Fleetway re-introduced Earth as a more accessible Planet)
- Face Heel Turn: Kintobor/Robotnik.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Mentioned and given the name "Tony Adams"
- Fun With Acronyms: Kintobor seemed to be fond of these. Both of his named known inventions are like this.
- Golem: Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2 is stated as being this ("an evil Sonic made of stone.") instead of a robot, despite its metal appearance.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Robotnik has apparently added a ceramic neural network to his body, allowing him to calculate in his sleep.
- A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away
- Number of the Beast: A young Kintobor is suggested to take less E1666 in his diet.
- The Owl-Knowing One: Sophocles
- Parental Abandonment: Sonic.
- Public Domain Character: Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Jeykll are given a nod in this book as being similar to Robotnik.
- Show Within a Show: The Vole magazine (not to be confused with the real-life "Vole Magazine"). Sonic's favourite comic is mentioned as Attack of the Killer Zombie Penguins.
- Tropes for Dummies: Kintobor is mentioned to own "An Idiot's Guide to Quantum Physics".
- Universe Bible: Was based on one.