|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
When someone dies and their spirit becomes a star.
This is a Death Trope most of the time, so spoilers do not have to be marked.
- The final scene of Sailor Moon has Usagi placing her hand over her heart and saying a star was just born (her daughter conceived).
Film -- Animated
- In The Lion King, Simba says he was taught that the stars are the spirits of the old kings, which gets a confirmation when he later recieves a starry vision of his father. Timon, on the other hand, claims that stars are fireflies that got stuck in the sky. That also got confirmed...by The Princess and the Frog.
- In The Princess and the Frog, when Ray dies, he becomes a star like Evangeline, who may or may not also be an example of this.
Film -- Live Action
- In Dragonheart, Good Dragons who die become a star in the Draco constellation. This happens to Draco when he dies.
Draco: To the stars Bowen. To the stars.
- Done to Hercules at the end of the 1983 film starring Lou Ferrigno.
- In Stardust when Tristan and Yvaine die they become Twin Stars.
- In one Percy Jackson and The Olympians novel, the goddess Artemis's Lancer is killed. She is honored with a whole constellation.
- This explanation is given in Redwall.
- In Warrior Cats, when a Clan cat dies they go to Starclan.
- Rammstein's Engel (Angel) is about this.
Who in their lifetime is good on Earth
will become an angel after death (...)
Once the clouds have gone to sleep
you can see us in god's keep
we are afraid and alone.
- Orion was made into a constellation after being killed by Apollo's scorpion (also a constellation).
- Heaven is usually depicted this way.
- Happens to Raphael Raven in Yoshis Island.
- Bionicle: subverted, Spirit Stars appear before a Toa is created or when a Toa completes a certain task.
- One Looney Tunes short ended with Wile E. Coyote accidentally blasting himself off into space and exploding, creating a constellation of himself in the process.